[HELP] Wired connection suddenly slow?

Soldato
I take it that you're using speedtest.net?

Just to confirm this is a 100% wired connection. So no powerline adapters etc, or anything else that could cause interference running along your Ethernet cable, just want to be sure as no one else asked.

I'd have been more happy if you said it was only 100Mbps, because then it'd be a clear issue that it's syncing at 100Mbps not 1Gbps but that seems to not be the case as it is 130Mbps.
Sounds like you're on Windows 10, so you can confirm the above by simply going to 'Network Status' - > 'Change Adapter Options' -> Right click the active connection and click 'Status' and it should say '1.0 Gbps'

Do you have any of your own equipment between the Hub & your PC?
Not sure myself how it works in terms of having a WiFi adapter & a ethernet together, it should default to the Ethernet. But if you do have a WiFi adapter I'd recommend disabling it just to negate that factor out.
(Probably not the problem as it would most likely show a clear wifi icon at the bottom right if that were the case, just trying to alleviate as many possibilities to find the issue!)

Associate
OP
I've tried a few different speed test websites and they all give a similar result usually 130-150Mbps down from the usual 550+Mbps that it has been stable at for the past 8 months or so.

100% wired connection, it's just a Cat6 cable coming out of my VM Hub and straight into my motherboard. The cable is long but the VM engineer tested it with his new shiny Ookla powered meter and he got a consistent 555Mbps which is the same as what I usually get on the PC as well.

Yes Windows 10 Home, fresh install recently (Connection speed has been fine since the fresh install so that's not releated) - Ethernet Status on both ports on the motherboard show 1.0Gbps

No other equipent anywwhere and WiFi is actually already turned off on my PC.

Associate
OP
Its fixed!!!!

Windows Start Menu/Settings/Network & Internet/Network Reset

Not enirely sure what that did as both Device Manger and Intel Driver Support Assistant still shows that my Intel® Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V is driver version 1.0.2.6 like it was yesterday.

I'm now getting the same 550+Mbps that I was getting before. Can anyone confirm exactly what the Network Reset actually does so I know for next time?

With hindsight it seems like it's the very first thing I should have done but but for whatever reason I didn't.

12088635847.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to add for anyone else trying to diagnose exactly what part of a network is causing speed issues, it's worth buying an Ethernet to USB-C (or whatever USB your mobile phone has) for about £10 from the Rainforest. As it essentially turns your phone into a network speed meter.

I bought a USB-C 1Gbps one and I use the Ookla speed test app so now I can just plug it into any port or ethernet cable that's connected to the internet and it'll do a speed test. By process of elimination I can now narrow down what's at fault. If I'd have had that a week ago I would have avoided having to take a day off work and wait around for 4hrs for a VM engineer to come out.

Back
Top Bottom