Help with choosing RAM for Threadripper 1950X

Associate
Hello,

I am trying to choose what RAM to get for an AMD Threadripper 1950X CPU. I've already settled on the motherboard- it's the ASRock X399 Taichi and do not plan to overclock the RAM at all.

I do have some questions regarding the memory I need to buy:

1. Is it true that Threadripper benefits greatly from higher clocked RAM? I read online that 1950X can benefit greatly from 3600MH vs 2666MH, much more than Intel CPUs for example. So far I've been only using Intel CPUs.

2. Considering I do not plan to overclock the RAM, CPU or GPU, does it matter what CAS Latency will the RAM have? I will do some gaming but the PC will be mostly used for 3D rendering.

3. Does it matter for Threadripper 1950X if I will populate the slots with 4x8GB or 2x16GB RAM modules as long as the memory is quad channel? I don't mind spending a little more at first for 2x16GB compared to 4x8GB since that gives me more options for memory upgrade in future. On the other side I do not want to bottleneck my system by only having 2 memory modules plugged in, if that matters at all.

4. Any other advise you can give me regarding buying RAM for the 1950X?

Is the Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Quad Channel Memory Kit (CMR32GX4M4C360 a good choice? The one from this link:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...nnel-memory-kit-cmr32gx4m4c360-my-4av-cs.html
Sorry for the many questions- it would appear my new PC will be very expensive and I do not want to mess something up. Besides- it's been a while since I assembled my last PC and choosing RAM was never my strong suit.

Much, much appreciated.

OcUK Staff
Just use the 8Pack 3200mhz kit x 2 for 3200mhzC14 no problem or 3333mhz C14 no problem. Those Corsair are not B die which is the best option with Threadripper. This will give you the four sticks you need for quad channel.

I cover all this stuff on my video on our you tube channel about TR. But not using 3200mhz RAM is like using 200mhz of efficiency from the CPU.

Associate
I bought the 8 Pack RAM the other week

Plonked it in to my Ryzen System and it was Flawless

The extra premium wasn't much & it is a quality product

Associate
OP
Sorry for the late reply, guys. I was on a vacation away from Internet.

8 Pack- which 8pack 3200mhz kit are you referring to? What brand is it? Can you post a link to it, please?
Also- I would appreciate a link to that video of your on YouTube. Are you saying that using RAM with lower clock speed than 3200MHz would impact the 1950X CPU in a negative way?

Thank you very much for all the help.

OcUK Staff
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you very much for the links, 8 Pack.

I will go through the YouTube video right away.

Much appreciated, mate.

P.S. Just finished the video- very helpful indeed.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd like to build a Threadripper for hybrid gaming/workstation usage... I'd like to have 64GB ram on it and to get a bit of gaming performance i'd love to run those 64gb at 3200 at least.. unfortunately after extensive research I still have no idea what the best option for that is. if 4x16 or 8x8 would have the highest chance to reach that. Which die manufacturer, if its better to go Samsung or Hynix, what brand of ram and which package etc..

I am thinking of going with the Taichi but I am open to suggestions if any other board is more likely to achieve faster ram OC.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom