Help with cpu install!

Soldato
Why is installing a new motherboard never easy?

First, this is what im dealing with:

- DFI RS482 Infinity Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 3700 CPU
- Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra CPU cooler

Okay, so it turns out the integrated GPU heatsink is getting in the way of my CPU cooler, so I can't install the cpu cooler. I've removed the gpu heatsink and now Im wondering whether or not i could run the system without a heatsink on the gpu. Bear in mind I have a proper graphics card on order, but hasnt arrived yet. The gpu heatsink is only a standard size northbridge type silver heatsink, and there is no fan on it.

Would I be safe running the system off the integrated gpu without a heatsink on it, but only running windows and playing no games to stress it? It would only be for the short term just to install windows and get it set up and ready.

Here is a link to some details on the board:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr...RODUCT_ID=4497&CATEGORY_TYPE=INFINITY&SITE=US

It is running a ATI Radeon X300 integrated GPU

What do you think?

Soldato
no, i very much doubt it. my intergrated x300 runs ~ 46c idle with the passive sink and the gpu disabled. Dont even try it. it's also the northbridge dont forget.

I'm suprisedf its getting in the way of anything though :confused: what exactly is the obstruction?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
no, i very much doubt it. my intergrated x300 runs ~ 46c idle with the passive sink and the gpu disabled. Dont even try it. it's also the northbridge dont forget.

I'm suprisedf its getting in the way of anything though :confused: what exactly is the obstruction?

The obstruction is the gpu heatsink which prevents me from clipping the CPU heatsink down into place as the cpu heatsink clip is sitting on top of the gpu heatsink.

I'll upload some pics in a sec.

Soldato
OP
Okay, here are a few shots of the gpu with heatsink removed next to the cpu heatsink install block (black):

Now, here are a few with the cpu heatsink in place next to the heatsink-less gpu:

And finally, here is a shot of the cpu heatsink in place with the gpu heatsink resting as close as i can get it (but still not in place over the gpu):

See where the black arm is in contact with the cpu heatsink - not good!

Any ideas?

Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
blimey does look close - a lot closer than mine is. can you not just turn the heatsink around the other way?

No can do, the screws are only on one side, but the heatsink is square enough so that it would still not fit. :(

What I need is a heatsink half the height of the one ive got.

Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
im talking 180 degrees around the other way, so the clip is on the right, not the left.

There are clips on both sides.

Are you using a micro atx system with the same motherboard as me? I am just wondering that the problem might be that the cpu heatsink is too big. Its dimensions are 92x92x75.

Can anyone recommend me a AMD 939 heatsink that is quiet and smaller than this?

Soldato
both sides? ah. the only heatsink ive used with a clip is the stock one, which only has a clip on one side. MY scythe ninja HS doesnt use that type of clip.

a210gdms.jpg

it's not the same motherboard, but its very similar in layout. Jetway A210GDMS:)

i can only suggest getting a heatsink that doesnt clip like that :(, or finding a half height cooler for the northbridge. Not sure what the tempos would be like though. they do get warm.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
both sides? ah. the only heatsink ive used with a clip is the stock one, which only has a clip on one side. MY scythe ninja HS doesnt use that type of clip.

a210gdms.jpg

it's not the same motherboard, but its very similar in layout. Jetway A210GDMS:)

i can only suggest getting a heatsink that doesnt clip like that :(, or finding a half height cooler for the northbridge. Not sure what the tempos would be like though. they do get warm.

Thanks James. What about a swiftech heatsink coupled with an acusa amber fan? I've heard that mentioned and it doesnt have side clips (it screws straight into the motherboard holes) so it should fit with the gpu heatsink in place. Would this work do you think?

Back
Top Bottom