Help with home VoIP phone setup

Associate
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

Currently with Virgin Media for Internet, TV, and Phone but looking to move away from package deals. Phone is currently connected through a regular landline to a router with an adapter, but what would I need to move to VoIP? I have a provider in mind and will port my existing number, but I am not sure what else is needed?

Soldato
A voip soft phone client, a physical voip phone or a suitable adapter for a conventional phone. Your provider that you have in mind likely has all this documented and will suggest/sell options they know work well. Personally the old Linksys/Cisco adapters work well enough and maintain the existing cordless handsets if thats important.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

Currently with Virgin Media for Internet, TV, and Phone but looking to move away from package deals. Phone is currently connected through a regular landline to a router with an adapter, but what would I need to move to VoIP? I have a provider in mind and will port my existing number, but I am not sure what else is needed?

Assuming you want to use your existing phones, then something like the Grandstream HandyTone HT801 ATA. I bought a number of different ATA's before I settled on that one. It is possible to set it up to mirror a BT ring, and so on. However, one thing you do need to be careful of, is all of the systems are American and they are not 100% compatible with systems in the UK. 99%, sure, but I still get problems with menus and so in in answering systems. My bank freaks out every time I call it. So there are problems.
The alternative to that is to buy a voip phone but I have no experience of those.
It's also worth considering using the system that your ISP recommends. They usually go with a derivative of the BT system, which is probably more compatible with UK telephone network.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently switched to no one for my broadband and phone, they sent a little adapter that they configure and it plugs into my router. I then plug the normal phone into the adapter.

Associate
Assuming you want to use your existing phones, then something like the Grandstream HandyTone HT801 ATA. I bought a number of different ATA's before I settled on that one. It is possible to set it up to mirror a BT ring, and so on. However, one thing you do need to be careful of, is all of the systems are American and they are not 100% compatible with systems in the UK. 99%, sure, but I still get problems with menus and so in in answering systems. My bank freaks out every time I call it. So there are problems.
The alternative to that is to buy a voip phone but I have no experience of those.
It's also worth considering using the system that your ISP recommends. They usually go with a derivative of the BT system, which is probably more compatible with UK telephone network.

Agreed. I have been using HT801 for well over a year with A & A service. Great unit - plugs straight into the Router (into a switch in my case). All my previous copper wire line phones work. With A & A, I can also forward calls to my mobile, which helps away from home.

Back
Top Bottom