Help with I7 choice please

Associate
hi all I am looking at getting a new cpu and board,

First off what is better/ newer socket 1150 or 2011.
as I would like to buy the latest socket make things slightly more future proof

Associate
To be honest, as far as I am aware... neither are future proof? I can't speak for the 2011... but the Z87 won't support the broadwell chips when they come out... so if you ever want to update the CPU, you will need to update the mobo.

As I said though, I cant speak for the 2011... not sure what the Haswell-E chipset looks like...

Caporegime
Well the i7 4770K (four cores+hyperthreading = 8 cores) has a higher core speed than a i7 4930K (six cores+hyperthreading = 12 cores), yet because games are still programmed in such a way that less cores at a higher speed is faster but there are games out such as BF4 that seem to prefer more cores and hopefully more and more games will too.

Associate
OP
hum I knew it would not be a simple ans, but if u could get a six cores+hyperthreading = 12 cores for example running 4.2 at the same speed as the other one 4.2 in theory it would be fast due to the amount of cores

Last edited:
Caporegime
In theory yes.

But there's also more to it than that such as different architecture designs of the CPU's.

Take sandybridge i5 2500K and Haswell i5 4670K.

Both four cores and if you set them to the same speed the Haswell is still faster clock vs clock.

Caporegime
The Haswell 1150 will be faster clock vs clock as it can do more work per clock cycle.

The only prove I have of this is something such as SuperPI which uses a single core to test the speed of CPU's ability to calculate prime to a certain amount of digits.

When you look at HWbot and the results from people and you do find a socket2011 based result (way down the rankings tables) its usually beaten by slower clocked 1150 based systems.

Associate
OP
ow right ok so the 1150 seems the better bet then, only reason I am asking is if I am going to be shelling out for a new cpu i7 range I would wont the best chip for the buck. so would u rather get a 1150 or 2011 chip

Back
Top Bottom