Help with my plugs,, usb & audio

Associate
Ive just bought a new case and transfered my old P4 socket 478 motherboard system innards into it but my new cases USB plugs which go on the motherboard are different to the ones on my old case,, In the picture the plug on the right was the one that ran from my usb port on the front of the case to the motherboard, but as you can see the new case has the two smaller plugs on the left from the front usb ports :confused: Can these still be fitted on?? do I need an adaptor or something or am I knackered,,

img26360mc.jpg

also my audio plugs are different, but not too woried about this as im using a soundblaster card

thanks for any help

Associate
OP
Nix said:
Use your mobo guide to show you where to plug them. As for the one on the far right, it's either the block of pins you connect, or the individual ones. With any luck you'll only need to attach the block.

Thanks,, I dont have a motherboard guide unfortunately, this board was in a No competitor talk please! system over 4 years old, the new plugs are in a solid block of 4 pin connections where as the old was a block of 8 pin connections, ive never seen usb plugs like this ive only seen the 8 blocks before :confused: I was gonna just plug em in and pray but just got the system working and dont want to blow something :(

heres a few pics, its only an elcheapo, Ive mainly done it for the wife to use for her mp3 music and mobile phone etc, so I really need the usb's working... cost me £19.99 for the case and I got the monitor from No competitor talk please! for £60, new GPU (4200ti)for £15, put a new lease of life into a 5 year old PC, lol,

img26453ar.jpg

img26448ny.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nix said:
Do you know what the mobo is?

Is it that big thing in the middle??? :D No but seriously theres no manufacturer markings on it and every programme I use, eg CPU-Z just reports it as a SIS-645,, i mean WTF?? I thought a USB plug was a USB plug :confused: I didnt think id have to start hacking ther plugs about to make em fit, If they are gonna make em different why are they in solid blocks of 4 connections, why arent they single individual plugs like the powwer on and hdd light plugs???

Thanks

Associate
OP
Ive been searching and Im 99% sure i found the right motherboard manual, but im still :confused: could anyone tell me how these pin no, and signal names would correspond to the plugs in the pic on the left and will i have to break the plugs to do it???

pin signal name function
no
1 VREG_FP_USBPWR0 Front Panel USB Power
2 VREG_FP_USBPWR0 Front Panel USB Power
3 USB_FP_P0- USB Port 0 Negative Signal
4 USB_FP_P1- USB Port 1 Negative Signal
5 USB_FP_P0+ USB Port 0 Positive Signal
6 USB_FP_P1+ USB Port 1 Positive Signal
7 GND Ground
8 GND Ground
9 KEY No pin
10 USB_FP_OC0

Thanks for any help

Associate
OP
Nix said:
Can you take a photo of your mobo mate if possible, please. Preferably as close as you can get it.

Thanks mate,, heres a couple of photos of the usb inputs,, only just realised the name of the board is in the photo it is in fact a l4s5a made by a company called elite :) i searced for an hour to get that model no :rolleyes: shame though the manual doesnt give any help, well not what I can understand anyway,,,lol

img26663is.jpg

img26647ps.jpg

thanks again

Associate
OP
Nix said:
I can see in the original image you have one USB1 and one USB2 lead. The third lead, is that for the power LED and restart etc?

No mate,, the two leads on the left come from the front usb sockets on the front of the new case and they are the ones i need to hook up tho the motherboard,, the lead on the right is the old usb lead that was on the previous case,, as you can see the old lead on the right will fit no problem as,,but the new ones are different :confused: I thought all usb connectors were standard as the old one on the right,, im stuck :(

Associate
OP
Nix said:
No they're not standard. You get them in all different shapes and sizes :p

It might be a case of just plug the ones you've got onto the pins and try to see if the USB works, if not try turning the USB lead 180 degrees and try again. If it still doesn't work, try moving the lead onto different pins. Remember to makesure the computer is fully powered down when you do this though. With any luck this will solve your problem.

well I give it a go and still no joy, tried plugging them in all ways :( ive got 2 usb ports on the back so suppose I can use a hub,, shame though would have been nice to use the front ones :(

Thanks anyway

Associate
OP
InSanCen said:
Yep, you'll have to break the case connectors

you have non-standard headers, the case plugs are indeed standard (Red, White, Green, Black)

I'll knock up a Diagram if you want.

email me, admin AT insancen DOT co DOT uk

Thanks mate, id be really gratefull,, could I use the old ubs plug and fit the new wires in it then plug it on??? I have no idea what wire needs to go to what pin :confused:

Email sent thanks :)

Associate
OP
InSanCen said:
Wait for someone else to check it over, but I think that's what you need. Like I said, you'll need to split you leads, use a stanley knife.

EDIT
This is assuming that you do indeed have the right pinout for your board.
If your PC blows up, zaps you or takes your cat from behind;) , I assume no responsibility.

Cool mate thats awsome help,, :) Im gonna wait till tonight to try when Ive got a bit more time and had a couple of beers to steady my hands,,gonna be a bit fiddly I think,, but at least i know what im doing now

THANKS AGAIN ill let you know how i get on :)

Back
Top Bottom