Help with new technology.

TGV

TGV

Associate
Hi – I’m a new guy here, so apologies if I’ve put this in the wrong place or made some other rookie mistake. Also, I'm sorry if you get a million of these requests every day.

I’ve been looking at a few forums online and this one looked like it had the potential for the best feedback because I’m looking for some advice. I should say that I may be a rookie here, but I’m not a beginner at building computers. I have built many machines for myself, family and friends over the years, but the last machine I built was about 10 years ago. It was then state of the art with a P4 3.0GHz processor, 200Gb HDD and a 512Mb graphics card. If you consider that the whole thing came to just over £1,000, you’ll realise how long ago that really was.

Anyway, my reason for appearing here was that in those 10 years, I’ve been married, had kids and all that kind of thing and I’ve just bought laptops because it’s suited what I needed. I’m thinking that now things have settled down, I feel like building a computer again to play games in my spare time.

I’m looking to build something that is competent with games, but not cutting edge and expensive. Something with enough grunt to keep me happy with decent frame rates of 24+ on 1920x1080 resolutions (on a single monitor, old fashioned 2D!). However, my problem is that since I last looked into what is available about 10 years ago, things have move on a lot. Processors have grown extra cores (yet clock speeds haven’t changed much at all), windows has developed another 32 bits, RAM is cheaper (per Mb/Gb) than ever and now one can have a HDD that doesn’t spin. These were all either unheard of or very rare when I last built a machine.

So here’s my first question to anyone who cares to help: Is there anything in particular I should be mindful of? Or for that matter, anything I should avoid? Any basic mistakes that are easily made with dual/quad core processors etc…? Or is it all pretty much the same as always but with bigger-better-faster-more, everywhere?

I have a budget for the machine (excluding monitor, keys and mouse etc… which I already have) of around £600. As I said, I want the thing to run at 1920x1080 native without struggling with a medium to high(ish) level of detail. The games I have at present are Fallout New Vegas and Railworks Train simulator 2012. I have a history of liking FPS games (such as the Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six/CoD type things) so I’ll probably end up investing in one of those. This is the kind of thing I’d like to run. I’ll say again that I’m not interested in benchmarking hundreds of fps – as long as it looks smooth, I’m happy.

My initial trawl on the web (using ****** prices), I put together this:
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155
Processor - Inter core i5 2500K 3.3GHz socket 1155 6MB
Graphics - Asus GTX 550Ti 1Gb GDDR5 VGA PC-E
RAM - G-skill 8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws Memory kit
HDD - 500Gb Seagate 3.5" 6Gb/s
DVD drive - LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD+-RW
Windows - Win 7 pro 64 bit
Case - Coolermaster Elite 330 with 500W PSU

That lot came to £599. Am I kidding myself? Am I way off, or pretty close with just a few things needing tweaking? I don’t need huge storage – I have a 1Tb external drive for photos, videos, etc…

Help appreciated. Cheers.

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
Warecast - thanks for that list - it looks like a real improvement on my list for only a few extra quid.

beejjacobs - that's great advice. Just what I was looking for thanks. I think I will stick with the i5 because I have heard great things about it (is an i7 not worth the extra?), and try and stretch to the GTX460 and the PSU and case recommended.

Finally - I have a laptop to sell. Where is the best place to advertise it? eBay, locally or some other place?

Thanks for your help.

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
Thanks Olivier. Agreed - I think the money would be more noted on a better card (and PSU I guess) rather than blowing the majority of my budget on an i7.

I can see the plan coming together... I nearly bought a copy of Computer Shopper at King's Cross today on the way home, but coming here has taught me more in less time and saved me £4.99 in the process. Result.

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
Thanks. Will do. I need the cash from the laptop sale to complete the budget. I wasn't aware of house rules but cheers for the heads up. I have advertised it locally. It should sell as it is a nice spec. Fingers crossed.

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
beejjacobs - I have a list now.... how do you post the basket on here like you did up there? Here is the basic text list of what I'm about to order (all from this site):

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM

Asus VE228H 22" Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor - Black

Asus HD 6850 DirectCU V2 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-02050)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (ST500DM002)

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX)

Cooler Master Elite Power 500W Power Supply

BitFenix Merc Alpha Gaming Case - Black

Samsung SH-S222BB/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - Retail

Have I made any basic ****-ups there?!!

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
Cheers - what about a CPU cooler? Does the i5 come with a basic one included? Is it worth investing £20-£30 in something with copper tubes, for example?

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
If it hasn't been said before by someone else: Awesome. Thanks to you all. I can't believe people still go to PC World for advice when there is a resource like this on the net. Credit card is out and as long as delivery is on time, I have me a computer to build at the weekend. First time in many years; I'm quite excited. Thanks all.

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
I carefully reviewed all your advice and options, but with a (relatively) strict budget of £750 including a 1080 monitor, I have just ordered this lot from here to be delivered tomorrow:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM

Asus VE228H 22" Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor - Black

Asus HD 6850 DirectCU V2 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-02050)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (ST500DM002)

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

Cooler Master Elite Power 500W Power Supply

BitFenix Merc Alpha Gaming Case - Black

Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/1155/1156/1366/2011/AM2/AM3/FM1)

Samsung SH-S222BB/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black/Silver/Biege) - Retail

2 x Zalman ZM-F3 120mm Silent Case Fan - 3 Pin

TOTAL = £766 (inc. delivery).

So I'm pretty pleased with that. As I said at the top, I'm coming off using a laptop for years, so OK, perhaps there is scope for improvement in this rig, but at least I now have that option which I didn't have before with the laptop.

I have gone for extra case fans and a CPU cooler because I intend on playing around with some overclocking.

Thanks again to y'all. I owe you a beer.

TGV

TGV

Associate
OP
Excellent. I was thinking 3.5 to 3.8ghz. But if you think over 4 is on the cards, then cool!

I will be sure to look at those YouTube videos too. In fact, due to a flexi-time day off, I'll do that now.

Back
Top Bottom