Help with Nvidia Shield Pro

Soldato
I need some advice regarding using my Pro and 3 external hdds via a USB hub. I have read about Plex but never used it , can this be used with a hdd hub to access the 3 ext drives?If so how would I do this?

Your shield can be the server and the client at the same time, but it's not reccomended and can lead to issues. Can't you run the plex server on your pc instead with the hdds?

Use the shield as client only

What resolution / size files will you be playing?

Last edited:
all the files are are MKV generally around 60 to 80GB . The drives are currently connected to the PC and into my x6400. Was hoping to be able to use the Pro rather than firing up the PC

all the files are are MKV generally around 60 to 80GB . The drives are currently connected to the PC and into my x6400. Was hoping to be able to use the Pro rather than firing up the PC
Yeah the pro will have issues trying to run those file sizes as both the server and the client.

Run your pc as the server.

How is the pro connected? Is it via gigabit lan or wifi?

Its on the same network as the PC, hardwired into a gigabit switch

Last edited:
I would personally still setup plex on the shield for the following reasons:
Dolby Vision Support
Simple User interface
Plex UI is nice to look at

The only reason to use the pc is if you are using something like madvr to do some additional processing on the image.
OK will look into setting up Plex then, thank you.

Just to confirm. My broadband speed of 80mb is not good enough to stream even the 40gb files without some buffering.

Why should using HDD x3 with a media player be a problem? I have my Amlogic box into four port USB hub, with 2.5", 3.5" HD and occasionally a USB stick, works fine. Just browse by folder

Why should using HDD x3 with a media player be a problem? I have my Amlogic box into four port USB hub, with 2.5", 3.5" HD and occasionally a USB stick, works fine. Just browse by folder
Causes issues with the Shield when using it as both the plex client and server. Widely documented online. These are for huge files, circa 100gb at times

Back
Top Bottom