Help with replacing a front door handle

Soldato
Hi all,

My front door handle broke off yesterday, so I can't close or open the door from the outside.

I haven't been able to get in touch with my landlord, so I'm going to have to try this myself, and bill her for the job. Before starting, I was hoping people could provide some tips or advice, before I make the situation worse. I'm only going to replace the handles, not the lock.

Pic of the mechanism:
5wmhwi.jpg

Thanks in advance

Tea Drinker
Don
Go to homebase buy handle, unscrew old one, screw new one on?

Keep the square spline in the middle as the new one will be too long and they are difficult to cut and your old one will be the right length

Soldato
piece of ****

just undo screws, pull out and replace.

Only problem can be if the new bit on the door frame is slightly different.

EDIT, if you are just replacing handle really is a piece of ***

Soldato
OP
Glad it sounds straightforward.

I was thinking it would be a simple job, but wanted to check in case I end up with a door that I can't even lock.

Thanks all

Soldato
Should be straightforward enough. You'll have to watch out for the sizing of where the keyhole goes and stuff though. There are different sizes of door lock mechanisms and these differences influence the position of the keyhole in relation to the handle.

I'd be tempted to take the handle with me for comparing against the ones in the shops. Just make sure you keep the metal square bar safe so you can open the door again.

Soldato
crikey how have you managed to snap it there?

mine snapped at the base a year or so ago. as others have said, it's a simple job to replace.

Capodecina
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a firm of Ambulance Chasers?

I broke my front door handle yesterday, can I sue my landlord for whiplash injury?

It is people like you that give tenants a bad reputation :rolleyes:

Associate
I wouldn't even bother billing the landlord for a replacement door handle. They do not exactly cost a lot.

Just let he/she/them know that you have had to replace the door handle so they don't see it as anything wrong.

Back
Top Bottom