Help with smelly toilet

Soldato
our ensuite bathroom and main bathroom share the same soil pipe.
when i go for a wee first thing in the morning in the ensuite there is a strong sewer smell, when flushed it seems to go away.

I thought this could be down to the vent pipe having a durgo valve on it so not allowing gases to escape properly.
So last week I had a builder come and install a vent tile and the stack is now connected to that, so it is now vented to open air.

However it hasn't solved the smell issue with the ensuite toilet.

any ideas

Soldato
Have you checked for any leaks from the soil pipe. I know our ensuite has a very small leak that's more noticable in the winter months when the window is shut.

Soldato
Check the seal to the soil-pipe behind each toilet too. I've had poor seals allowing smells through.

Soldato
OP
Have you checked for any leaks from the soil pipe. I know our ensuite has a very small leak that's more noticable in the winter months when the window is shut
Its all completely boxed in, on the 1st floor it is hidden behind a false wall.
The top of the wall is open in the loft though, so if there were any leak I would most likely be able to smell it in the loft. (have smelt smells up there before we replaced the 20 year old durgo valve)

the smell is only "released" when I "break water" so I can't see it being a seal otherwise I would assume that there would be a smell there anyway.
Also the fact that it goes completely when the toilet is flushed.

Soldato
the smell is only "released" when I "break water" so I can't see it being a seal otherwise I would assume that there would be a smell there anyway.
Also the fact that it goes completely when the toilet is flushed.
This implies it's a pressure change in the soil pipe from the toilet that is allowing the smell to escape. As you pee you will be increasing the pressure in the soil pipe from the toilet. That pressure change cannot be released quickly enough where it should be from the soil pipe (wherever that is), and it's coming back into your room somehow. The full flush is enough pressure to make the venting system open properly. So, it sounds like the problem is the amount of force required to open the proper venting mechanism, whatever that is. There is too much of a threshold that isn't triggered when you pee.

Caporegime
See a doctor.

Or it might be that the other bathroom isn't vented properly, which is causing its toilet to drain the ensuite u-bend when it's flushed.

Then when you flush the ensuite, the trap fills back up with water and the smell is blocked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom