Help with Stackoverflow post

Associate
I have a stack overflow post, just wondering if anyone on here can help?

It's for a open source android app.

Don't know if this is against forum rules.

Edit: I found this: https://developer.android.com/devel...-input/game-controllers/controller-input#java but it still does not answer the question of how to get exclusive access to the gamepad and prevent button presses from interacting with other UI elements such as the BottomNavigationDrawer. I need something like preventDefault() in javascript, where you can stop events bubbling up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not an android dev, so can't help with your question, but I am a former mod on SO with 300k+ rep.

First, good SO questions should contain all the information someone would need to be able to help you, but as succinct and to the point as possible. As such, I'd suggest you copy+paste the relevant parts of the code and put them in the question directly - amending logic if required to just the specific class invocations. Very few people are going to spend the effort to dig through a github repo to even find the relevant code, let alone spend further time debugging it. People will click on your question and judge within 3 seconds if there's enough information to help. If they don't see a well formatted code block, all but the most hardened of answerers will immediately leave.

In addition, it's best to ask just one question at a time, so that it can be answered in its entirety. Asking two questions may leave ambiguity in the answers. Also, the second question you asked, regarding 'advice' for how to work with controllers, is a bit too broad for SO. There's thousands of ways to answer that and SO is for canonical 'I have X problem in my code', so that someone can answer 'do Y'.

Hopefully that doesn't come across as too nitpicky, but I see a lot of people get disheartened when asking SO questions and they're downvoted for reasons like the above. It's very much an impersonal site, not like a forum such as this where a question formatted and phrased like that would be absolutely fine, although as I mentioned above, a little more direction on where to find the relevant code in the repo would help.

Back
Top Bottom