Help Wordpress Newbie

Associate
Howdy,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me ?

The company I work for as decided to update the company Website using an external company. The company as set-up a decent site using wordpress.

Now this is the problem we need to input content onto the website, but we don't want the people doing this to have access to html code or anything. We would need an external program that would allow them to update the content i.e pictures or text but without touching the HTML code in wordpress.

The program used would need to be simple if possible.

Would be mega grateful for any help or pointers offered.

Thanks

john

Soldato
Let's break it down a bit...

WordPress is a CMS, and the point of a CMS (to cut a long story short) is to make editing website content much simpler. As a result of that, it has a pretty decent admin section that includes things like text editing tools, photo import etc. These tools allow someone to write blogs and edit page content with a minimum of fuss, because the template and all the heavy lifting is taken care of by the CMS itself. You don't need an external program to edit anything - WordPress already has the tools built in.

The best way to accomplish what you want to do would probably be to set up users with set permission levels, so that they can only change content and can't touch any of the advanced settings.

Associate
OP
Let's break it down a bit...

WordPress is a CMS, and the point of a CMS (to cut a long story short) is to make editing website content much simpler. As a result of that, it has a pretty decent admin section that includes things like text editing tools, photo import etc. These tools allow someone to write blogs and edit page content with a minimum of fuss, because the template and all the heavy lifting is taken care of by the CMS itself. You don't need an external program to edit anything - WordPress already has the tools built in.

The best way to accomplish what you want to do would probably be to set up users with set permission levels, so that they can only change content and can't touch any of the advanced settings.

Thanks this is more like what we need. Some heavy reading and searching for me tonight.:D

Soldato
I use a plugin called 'Adminimize'. It gives you tick boxes for each item on the admin menu and lets you choose which user roles can see that item.

Best used with a role editor though because it literally just shows and hides menu options, doesnt change the underlying permissions. Handy for making things very simple for users to update.

For a user who is likely to struggle with things like this, i usually hide everything except the 'pages' and 'add media' menu options.
That is enough for them to add/edit pages without becoming confused.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I use a plugin called 'Adminimize'. It gives you tick boxes for each item on the admin menu and lets you choose which user roles can see that item.

Best used with a role editor though because it literally just shows and hides menu options, doesnt change the underlying permissions. Handy for making things very simple for users to update.

For a user who is likely to struggle with things like this, i usually hide everything except the 'pages' and 'add media' menu options.
That is enough for them to add/edit pages without becoming confused.

Brilliant !

Thanks for that. All I need them to have access to would be edit pages and add media.

Will go and have a look now.

Back
Top Bottom