Help :(

Associate
alright guys and girls, a freind of mine has been having some greif getting a system running, he bought all the bits at christmas and hasnt been able to make the machine post let alone boot since getting it, i took pity on him and went to pick it up so i could try sort something out for it.

now the machine posts ok, although the keyboard is not working, ive tried another keyboard to see if it was just that certain keyboard this motherboard didnt like although another one did the same.

its one of the new asrock boards that have the agp and pciex slots on, im stumped as to why the keyboard doesnt work, cant get into the bios and because theres nothing on the hardrives it sits on the INSERT SYSTEM DISK screen :(

any body offer any advice, there arent any stupid jumpers that disable the keyboard or anything are there ? ive tried pretty much everything i can

thanks in advance

Associate
OP
just ps2 matey , i dont actually have a usb keyboard here

on second thought ill have a look in the "junk draw" im shure we all have those.

Associate
So you can't get into the BIOS by hitting F2 during POST? I've known some of these Asrock boards have funny P/S2 connectors, check it's pushed in as far as it will go.

Try clearing the CMOS with the motherboard jumper (with the PC disconnected from the mains), then try again.

Do you have a bootable Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD/DVD drive, when you start the system up? If it's not XP or 2000 you need to start Windows from a floppy, although PCI-Express support is virtually non-existent with these older operating systems!

Have you configured the CMOS setup to boot from the CD/DVD drive before the floppy (A:\) or hard drive (C:\) ? You need to do this otherwise your system won't see your XP setup CD.

Hope this helps!

Associate
OP
rite,

i turn the machine on and it firstly says the bios battery is low and that i should check settings, theres nothing wrong with the battery as i replaced that also.

i cant press any keys on the keyboard it wont let me do a thing and because the boot priority is not configured it says DISK BOOT FAILURE , INSERT SYSTEM DISK , or something similar im shure u know what i mean.

i tried a USB keyboard and that also does the same, cant press any keys on the thing what so ever, ive tried booting off my usb pen which is bootable and hoping the system would pick up my usb pen and try boot from it although it wont.

after it tells me to reconfigure my bios it halts on the insert system disk screen and thats where the journey ends..

no getting into bios , no changing no settings nothing

and ive tried re setting the bios god knows how many times :(

still thanks for all the advice guys, ill get there eventually, ive pretty much told my freind to RMA the board, any chance it could be a funky CPU ?

Back
Top Bottom