Poll: Heskey...yay/nay

Should Heskey be in the Senior England Footy Team?

• Yep no one as good at the job

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • ...even a real donkey would do better.

Votes: 58 64.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
He is a player without merit.
He is just soooooo bad as to be untrue, i cannot see how he has done anything to impress upon GH and SGE that he is indeed a competant footballer.
Emile Heskey, do the footballing world a favour, crawl under a rock, and stay there.

Permabanned
How did he ever even get considered for England in the first place? Did he give some a ....ooh wait, family forum :p

anyway, he played like a coupla good matches for lpool and so they put him in the england team, now he wont go away :mad:

Associate
i voted yes :)

he started in the england squad when he was at leicester pal. after shearer retired from int. footie he's been first choice.

now i know he's not world class and ideally shouldn't be in the england team but.....to say he contributes nothing is wrong. a lot of the international defenders hate playing against him and IMO there is no english big man who does the job better than him. some styles of footie require a big man and they're often not pretty to watch (eg leicester under o'neill) but they can be very effective and heskey is a good player when a team plays to his strengths. if you can't see this then how much do you know about football? to write someone off with the kind of comments that most people write on here about heskey says a lot more about how much you know about football than how good heskey is.

btw - i've seen him play over 100 games live in the flesh so at least give my opinions the time of day. and obviously sven and houllier know nothing about footie :rolleyes:

sorry for the rant :)

SamJ

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
good job i don't take most of you guys seriously. :(

Sorry m8, not really sure what you mean here :confused: You made your points as have others :confused:

Personally I think one of your points is mute as England have played to Heskeys supposed strength by playing the long ball. It just hasn't worked. I too have seen some (though limited in number) games where he has played 'ok' but not to England standard imo & you said yourself that he is not world class & shouldn't be in the England team...so excuse me while I use the same smiley in this post for the third time :confused: Why did you vote yes if you think no?

Associate
Originally posted by Cemetery
Why did you vote yes if you think no?

I don't think no, I justified the fact that I don't think anyone is better at the job - Shearer is, but is not available. Playing long ball as England have done in several games is not good football and still not playing to the strength of Heskey tho at least he wins a few flick ons.

the reason i made that comment, cem, is that a lot of peeps don't seem to justify their points, especially when talking about heskey. eg - he falls over all the time, can't shoot for toffee, can't head, is a wimp, la la la la la. how many peeps here have played competitive footie? heskey is a hard player to play against. slagging players off as if they're complete turds is what i object against, especially if they have a shred of quality which i believe heskey has. i'm quite happy to defend my point of view against peeps who have good arguments and have read my posts.

SamJ

Soldato
Heskey is just not international class, I'd even say he's not Premiership class, he can't score goals - which for a centre forward is just wrong - and he's not good enough in any other area to warrant selection.

Associate
heskey is definitely premiership class IMO. if i was supporting a side playing against heskey then i would worry about the problems he would cause. not because he will score but because of the weight of the load he would take. there is no way cottee would have scored so many goals for leicester if he wasn't playing with heskey.

my point was not that heskey is int. class but that there is no big man better if sven/houllier wants to play that way. it's not his fault and he certainly doesn't deserve the slagging off that he gets from you guys.

SamJ

Soldato
Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
I don't think no, I justified the fact that I don't think anyone is better at the job - Shearer is, but is not available. Playing long ball as England have done in several games is not good football and still not playing to the strength of Heskey tho at least he wins a few flick ons.

the reason i made that comment, cem, is that a lot of peeps don't seem to justify their points, especially when talking about heskey. eg - he falls over all the time, can't shoot for toffee, can't head, is a wimp, la la la la la. how many peeps here have played competitive footie? heskey is a hard player to play against. slagging players off as if they're complete turds is what i object against, especially if they have a shred of quality which i believe heskey has. i'm quite happy to defend my point of view against peeps who have good arguments and have read my posts.

SamJ

See, i wouldnt be so scathing on the guy if he was even a good target man, but he isnt, Rooney on wednesday won more headers than heskey ever does, and played owen in more times than heskey ever does, and Rooney isnt even a target man!
Heskey for all his size and bulk and supposed "power" never bulldozes defences, or powers through tackles, or gets a header on target, or plays people in, he is the worst striker England have ever had.
I play "competative" football as well, and i breath a sigh of relief when the other side wheels out a great big lummox up front, they are some of the easiest players to play against as they are so predictable.

Associate
when i watched him play a lot at leicester he did all those things (apart from his heading at goal which has always been poor) well. i don't have a problem with what you're saying tho as everyone is entitled to their opinion (and i'm not drunk now as i was last night!!! :) ) and i also agree that he isn't the best striker in the world! i much prefered the way england played second half with rooney on the pitch than the way they normally play with heskey and owen. much more exciting to watch and a better side as well. first half we were still thinking the big man was up front.

the point of my argument for voting yes was that no-one else does the big man job better in england. i wish there was someone better but there isn't. doesn't mean he has to play and be in the starting 11 but he's worth his place on the bench IMO.

SamJ

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Beattie would do a better job of "the big man" role. Heskey, if you looked at his individual skills is terrible. Most peoples defence of him is that he takes defenders away from the goal or that he puts himself about LOL, what about passing, tackling, dribbling, vision, heading and god forbid shooting. He is a poor player and when he is in the team the whole team plays poor.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by CliffyG
I'm pretty sure Beattie would do a better job of "the big man" role. Heskey, if you looked at his individual skills is terrible. Most peoples defence of him is that he takes defenders away from the goal or that he puts himself about LOL, what about passing, tackling, dribbling, vision, heading and god forbid shooting. He is a poor player and when he is in the team the whole team plays poor.

Deffinetly agree with that, Beattie deserves another chance no doubt.

Caporegime
Donkey would do better, i was at the match on Wednesday and was very happy to see Rooney / owen start up front...

And equally as happy when Sven decided to bring on Vassell for Owen...

Hopefully he can keep Heskey out of the team...shouldn't even be in the squad imho.

Back
Top Bottom