Hey - Belinea 102035W questions?

Associate
Hello all,

I am a new customer and new to the forums as well. I am in a great need of a new monitor. After browsing the whole forum and reading badass's posts I conclude that the Belinea 102035W seems the best choice for gamers, and is a bargain as well. If anyone has some bad experience or can recommend anything else I would be pleased. The other choice was to go with Dell, but speaking on the same level of size the Belinea 102035W is far superior in my opinion, unless you compare with the bigger DELL Ultrasharp 2405FPW(which costs maybe twice as much, and you are biased due the size :p).

ps: Gaming 4 lyfe

Thanks for your time.

Pet

Suspended
Hi, and welcome to the forums
The belina is a solid monitor, ive had mine for the pst 2 months now, I have used for everything, from playing fear, quake 4 etc to watching dvds, surfing the net etc and its performs well. some people have had issued with backlight bleeding but i haven't oh and i didnt get any dead pixels either!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply :)

btw isnt backlight bleeding visible when you experience the monitor in a completly dark room? (all lights off) If it is so, then I never turn all lights off cause is a BAD thing for the eyes, some secondary light is essential to balance what the eyes recieve :)

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

Hi

I saw that Belinea screen in a shop this morning (this shop suprised me as it wasn't full of brands that I'd never heard of!), and it does look nice!

I think the back bleeding issue is probably visable in applications/games where you have a lot of dark areas on the screen (games : doom3, splinter cell, FEAR), and not necessarily when the room is dark too. I imagine that the effect would be worse in a darkened room though. It also seems that some people have the problem and some don't, or maybe different people put up with a different standard of bleeding etc. who knows.

There is a long forum thread about this monitor and I suggest you give it a read from top to bottom :)

Man of Honour
welcome to OcUK :)

For gaming in the 20" and above market, the Belinea is an excellent choice. Backlight bleeding issues are creeping up on a few models, but not nearly as badly as on the 2005FPW which still seems to be plagued by this issue. It's certainly a very good price, think it would be a good choice

Suspended
I play fear most nights in the dark, and I have yet to notice the large amount of bleeding that other people have mentioned, but they do say that if you keep the brightness in the mid 30 range then the issue is solved, like seirrah has said, read the large thread on this monitor for more pictures and views

Associate
OP
comments around Belinea are all good and I belive also is a good choice. Badass, can you suggest something better in the 19'' range even? or is pretty much the same (as widescreen looks a new and better experience).

Thanks.

ps: I only care about ghosting really...

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

There's probably not a better 19inch widescreen, just different. There is the Viewsonic VA1912W, which is about £100 cheaper that the Belinea, but then
1) it isn't as big
2) The panel it uses is an older technology, which is great for gaming but there is a trade-off in other aspects such as a smaller viewing angle. I doubt this would matter if you were always only infront of the screen though.
3) The native resolution is a bit wierd, but I've no clue how much that matters.

Swings and roundabouts really :)

Anyway, Baddass (=:cool: ) is the man to answer....

Associate
Sorry to jump on the thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these from a 17", how much a performance drop would i see from 1280*1024 to 1680*1050?

I run an ASUS 128mb 6800GT and always run games and will want to run the games on full or almost full details with 2xAA, 0xAF. I currently have no problems doing this at 1280*1024. Mostly play CSS, occasional BF2, Civ4, Quake 4.

I don't really need it to play many future games, as i will be doing a major upgrade in October time....

Anyone who has jumped to this monitor from a 1280*1024 setup care to comment?

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

richolmes72 said:
Sorry to jump on the thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these from a 17", how much a performance drop would i see from 1280*1024 to 1680*1050?

I run an ASUS 128mb 6800GT and always run games and will want to run the games on full or almost full details with 2xAA, 0xAF. I currently have no problems doing this at 1280*1024. Mostly play CSS, occasional BF2, Civ4, Quake 4.

I don't really need it to play many future games, as i will be doing a major upgrade in October time....

Anyone who has jumped to this monitor from a 1280*1024 setup care to comment?

tbh I'd ask in the big Belinea monitor thread, or in the graphics card section.
You're talking about roughly a 30% increase in the number of pixels...so I'd say you're looking at at least a 30% drop in frame rate (assuming the relationships are near linear)

Man of Honour
drak3 said:
comments around Belinea are all good and I belive also is a good choice. Badass, can you suggest something better in the 19'' range even? or is pretty much the same (as widescreen looks a new and better experience).

Thanks.

ps: I only care about ghosting really...

well the 19" market has had more time to establish itself and there is certainly more choice than in the 20" and above market at the moment. The 20" market is the area of most growth and R&D at the moment, since people are moving to larger and larger screens, and WS is becoming very popular.

Ignoring the WS aspect ratio and extra size / res for now, as far as performance goes of the panels i would say this: The most responsive panel technology for gaming is TN Film. In the 19" market you have the latest generation of aggresively overdriven TN panels like those used in the fastest rated 4ms, 3ms and 2ms panels. Models like the Samsung 930BF, Viewsonic VX924, VX924 and Hyundai Q90U are examples of these. These are undoubtably some of the fastest and most responsive TFT panels in the market and for gaming, you won't get much better right now. However, as eluded to above, having a TN Film technology panel means sacrifice in other areas. Viewing angles are the biggest trade off, being pretty restrictive, especially in the vertical field. Movie playback is also an issue, since 'noise' and artefacts are common on this technology, and only accentuated by the application of overdrive to the panel control. As such, i would say the TN market nowadays is very well suited to gamers, but not really for movies.

On the other hand, the 19" market also offers a fair few non TN panels. Models like the Viewsonic VP930 (using P-MVA) and Samsung 970P (PVA) for instance are priced as more of a premium product because of this. They dont suffer from the same drawbacks of TN Film in general, offering truly wide viewing angles, a true 8 bit colour depth (TN can only do 6 bit, but you probably couldnt tell a difference), a deeper black (this might be noticably better than TN) and smoother movie playback (in general). However, MVA and PVA panels were always traditionally slow and unresponsive for gaming. With the evolution nof overdrive technology, the models i've just listed are very good for gaming, as response time has been greatly improved. One thing to be wary of though is that quoted response times in modern PVA / MVA panels are not always representative of their actual performance. However, the VP930 and 970P are certainly very good. Another note is that with the application of overdrive, there is the risk of adding unwanted noise to movie playback. Sadly Samsung dont seem to have managed to control their overdrive (MagicSpeed) properly whch results in a lot of noise in movies on the 970P and their TN 930BF.

So the 19" market does offer a wider variety. There has onyl recently been the introduction of WS monitors in this sector, but these are pretty much all based on an 8ms TN Film panel, very similar to the 8ms rated 4:3 models like the Samsung 913N, Hyundai L90D+ etc. Still a good screen, but you would need to decide if TN Film was ok for your needs

In the 20" market, is a similar situation. However, only AU Optronics have so far broken into the recent generation with a non TN panel. This is the P-MVA panel used in the Belinea 102025W and soon to be some other models. Samsung haven't released a 20" PVA panel to rival it yet, but it will follow at some point im sure. There are a few 20" models being released with TN Film technolgy as well, but the same coments go for these as with the 19" models talked about earlier. These may be a little bit more responsive once overdrive is really heavily applied, but with the trade offs as before, which you dont have to put up with if you get an MVA / PVA panel.

If you're wanting THE fastest gamers panel, then at the moment the 19" market is the place to look. However, im sure it wont be long before we see heaviloy overdriven 4ms, 2ms etc panels in the 20" market. If you want a more rounded performer then you need to look at the P-MVA and PVA models, especially if movie playback and viewing angles are important to you. In the 20" you've only got the Belinea to go with at the moment., If you want a 19" then i would recommend the Viewsonic VP930 as probably the best all round panel in the whole market right now

anyway, hope that helps, a summary of what to look for :)

Back
Top Bottom