hifi Delusion at it's greatest?

Associate
Was looking on whathifi the other day and foudn something that blows most money wasters out the water. This is beyond £100 RCA cables, and even beyond gold plated hdmi cables. : http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Ecosse-Big-Orange-MK2/

thats right, a £60 power cord.:confused:

I've had a look at the specs and unless im missing something drastic, this is simply a 1.5m cable, same type that plugs in your kettle.... except ofcourse it is orange (so maybe worth the price tag :p ) .. but just reading through the (5 star) review.. "General clarity and midrange bite are improved" and "deepens black shades and offers great punch to high-contrast scenes"... please, no one can argue to me that that would make the slightest bit of difference, i simply won't believe it..

Makes you question heavily the reviews from whathifi ( though from what i've heard many do already) ....

and if im not mistaken this http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Russ-Andrews-Reference-PowerKord-W350i-Ag/ is even worse "£232" and from what i can see that's just a power cable aswell...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ahh i missed that.. ahh stuff what i said, that's a fricking bargain!!

whats next rewiring your house with oxygen free copper to give " a better supply" ?...

i'm very tempted to start making my own cables and selling them on ... the profit that can be made is mind blowing..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i wonder if i used that cable on my kettle whether it would make my water taste better or boil faster.. I'm currently looking on electrical retail sites to see if i can make some "audiophile cables" to sell on myself...

atm i'm waiting for an audiophile to pop up and tell us all that it makes a big difference... but maybe they're a bit too scared on this one..

Associate
OP
I feel like signing up just to post an opinion and scream at them.............for the few short minutes that my post resides there until there nazi's take it down.

they won't be able to hear you over the sound of their "1 million pound listening room" and expensive power cabling...

Soldato
you should go read head-fi forums, people pay serious money to get there headphones recabled there. I think it's all in people's head's.

I'm also going to look into this power cord business. There's probably a lot of H & S to wade through though.

All you need is a wacky colour cable, some chrome ends, and really thick plastic cabling and your own to a winner.

Associate
OP
I wonder why there is rarely any scientific data which can prove any tangeable difference regarding all cabling in hifi. Even making cables out of proper decent quality materials (silver plated cabling, and oxygen free copper) it's still dirt cheap and most of the cost is in the connectors. You can get Oxygen free copper for around 50p a metre, so for some RCA cables you're looking at less than £5 including connectors, and probably the same for a power cable.

Soldato
A friend of mine is really into his audio. His floor standers are by-amped with each amp costing well over 1K plus he's spent hundreds on cables etc.

He's now just bought some silver plated cables and plugs!!!!

Now I could hear a difference between the control amp and when the other two powers amps were added but not worth the cost of the total package!

Soldato
Madness.

It's easy and inexpensive to produce cabling for Hi-Fi systems (speaker, interconnect and... *sigh* power) whose technical performance in comparison to any other component within the system is orders of magnitude better. I look at cables from the standpoint of any other design in the system, a technical one. Quite simply, the system would not exist if it were not for electronics engineering and understanding, so it is bewildering that this then goes out the window when it comes to cables, to be replaced with pseudo science and creative wordplay.

Unless you have a highly unusual requirement (extra long cable runs, extremely low impedence speakers etc) then cables offering, to all intents and purposes, 'perfect' performance will not cost you a great amount nor be hard to come by.

Of course, people are making a lot of money from this and they are almost certainly tied in with magazines such as What Hi-Fi. I really don't pay much attention to the commercial world anymore, DIY is where it's at :D

Soldato
To be honest, it must be close to bordering on illegal in this day and age with consumer protection laws? It's nothing short of plain misleading customers with false information.
I might start selling "cat99" network cable, guaranteed to give you a better quality internet.

To me this basically writes off any magazine/reviewing body or shop that promotes this product as anything more than an overpriced power cable giving no benefit what so ever.

DiG

DiG

Associate
This is why its important to listen with your ears rather than your eyes. And not listen if someone says something sounds better and you can't tell the difference

Back
Top Bottom