HiFiMan Sundara or alternative?

Soldato
I'm looking at the HiFiMan Sundara and am tempted to get them but before I do I was wondering if there is anything else that might be better in the £200 to £500 range?

I have the FIIO JadeAudio KA3 DAC and will only be using the headphones on my desktop computer.

Soldato
OP
That's a pretty wide price range, and the Sundara sits at the lower end of it.

"Better" in the world of headphones can also be massively subjective, depending on your preferred sound signature and what you're listening to. For example, I could easily suggest the Ananda Nano's, which are at the top end of your budget, but you could try both and possibly prefer the Sundara.
Thank you for the reply. I guess I should specify a few things.

I mainly listen to metal and rock but enjoy classical, baroque and electronic music as well. I like the AirPods Max which I currently have but would like a bit of a stronger bass. Obviously I'm looking for wired headphones so that narrows it down somewhat. If you need more info let me know and I'll try and narrow it down.

Soldato
OP
You need to factor in your power rating. At 130mW into 32ohm it's very low. I run my Sundara off an RME ADI-2@1W unbalanced and still need to crank the volume a fair ways.
Thank you.
What headphones are you currently using or you have experience with? the budget you've stated could afford you a suitable amp/dac and headphone, I agree that you could be limited using that dongle @ 130mW, I know the 'Audio Science Review' crew (an audiophile forum) believe that everything can adequately run off a Apple Dongle but I really believe you need more power and headroom,

Fiio K11 desktop amp £120
Hifiman Ananda (orignal) £348

Comes under the top end of your budget, if you go for the Sundara's just make sure they are the 2020 model.

IEMs are another whole ball of wax, I finder them harder to recommend as the tuning of them have a bigger impact on you and potently less tolerable compared to headphones, I love IEMs but find many of them too harsh sounding for me in the upper mids and lower treble region, a safe 'cheap' IEM I would recommend would be something like the Truthear x crinacle zero red (£50), I promise you'll be impressed if it's your first IEM, they've came a long way compared to the earbuds of yesteryear, but be warned, they can be quit addictive, I have about ten of them lying around lol
I see. Thank you. That looks like a decent configuration. I'll wait for prime day now though just incase there is a sale on.

Back
Top Bottom