High CPU usage causing slowdown in windows.

Associate
hey All
Have had this issue for a few months now. Have an X670e Asus mainboard with AMD Ryzen 9 7950X.
I've noticed that when I have hight CPU the system (Task Manager) becomes sluggish, i cant actually scroll down the Task Manager as its just stops for a few seconds and then starts again responding.

I feel its a driver problem but i have all the latest drivers , tried Asus drivers for my mainboard and also AMD.
Any ideas? The system is about a year old but didnt use to have this issue.

Thanks a lot

Associate
OP
What is using the CPU in task manager? It sounds like you have a bugged application.
Its about 7% at normal load and then upto 100% when I run a benchmark (silverbench). I actually tried it on a second windows install i have on another drive and it runs a lot better. Think its something running in the background?
Thanks

Associate
OP
Unresponsiveness is normal when at 100% cpu.
If it's only at 100% when running a benchmark, then the solution is stop running benchmarks.
No it was unresponsive when doing some tasks that were maxing out the cpu. Shouldnt be like that. I've tried removing a few apps from startup and it seems better now. Even at 90% cpu before it was chugging.

Man of Honour
Windows has a few background/maintenance tasks which can get out of control, supposedly only happen when the system *thinks* it is idle (which is bad enough) but can bug out and run a lot of the time - can usually be see by one application, usually "System" using all of one core - or around 7-15% of the CPU depending on how many cores the CPU has.

I've also found some manufacture's control panel software can be pretty CPU heavy with telemetry, etc. i.e. Gigabyte Control Center causing system responsiveness issues, etc. in some cases.

Associate
Depending on what the tasks are, if you're maxiing out your CPU enough, it certainly will run sluggish. I'm really not sure what you're expecting from it?

Associate
OP
Depending on what the tasks are, if you're maxiing out your CPU enough, it certainly will run sluggish. I'm really not sure what you're expecting from it?
But it didnt do this a few months ago, something has changed. If i set off some rendering and i'm hitting 95% cpu i would still be able to go to the task manager scroll down and check. Now the mouse is jittering around, the task manager takes about 30seconds to open and then a few minutes to populate. I guess there must have been some dodgy background task that was killing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I previously had a Ryzen 3600 amd if i only slightly overclocked it using Ryzen Master it would reboot under high usage. Are you overclocked? I changed to a Ryzen 3950

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom