High-Def isnt all that good.

Soldato
Hi.
Controversial title that should spark some flames. :p

Anyway.
I recently bought the US version of Starship Troopers off a mate in the US. He provided with it a few DVD9 DVDRs with a 1080i/DD 5.1 on it as well.
Which i was pleased about. Original DVD & a HDTV version for under a tenner, bargain!

So i decided to hook my 26" Sammy to my PC, and watch the 1080i version of it.
Im underwealmed. I was expecting some amazingly high detailed picture, instead im treated to something that looks barely different to the DVD version, and the only noticable difference being that 'shiny' things look more shiny, like eye balls, and CGI looks a bit better.

The only conclusions i can come to is that:
-- The 1080i version ive got is actually just the DVD version upscalled. Which is unlikely considering the extra detail on shiny things.
-- The 1080i version ive got is low bit-rate. Being almost 16Gb in size, i wouldnt have thought that was possible.
-- That HDTV isnt all its cracked up to be. Which is the most plausable to me.

Opinions, Comments & Flames welcome. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Or it could be that the difference has been blown out of proportion and its more of a evolution in displays rarther than a revolution?
I see that some of you are coming to some of the conclusions that i have, and are critisising without actually giving a backing as to why that conclusion is correct. ;)

Soldato
OP
mcmad said:
If your PC is decent enough to handle it,try using theatertek software (pixel adaptive de-interlace) & FFDshow to rescale it to 720p native res.
VLC seems to do the job for me.

Its amusing to see all the excuses your all making really.

There is nothing wrong with the telly. Its a 26" HDTV, designed to handle 1080i.
And considering the scaling is being done by my PC, the TVs scaling engine has nothing to do with it, as its being fed a constant resolution.

I have some 400Mb+ music videos, and they look marginally better, with things seeming slightly sharper, but still not the big jump people claim.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
mcmad said:
Youre the first person Ive heard of thats tried it that didn't think there was a significant difference so something aint right with your setup
The setup is fine.
Ive tryed WMV-HD clips and they dont look much different.
Kappa said:
Why not try downloading some HD Trailers from apple, they look amazing on the telly.
Already have. Not impressed thus far.
FrankJH said:
Seriously go get Episode 3, or watch it again if you can - and even the tv which i believe upscales on its own - will make your eyes stand out. It really does look that good.
Ive got it. It doesnt look overly different than any other DVD ive got tbh.

Im not easyily impressed, but, i dont think that the difference is as much as what people are making out. Ive seen so many people. So many articles, saying that the difference is night and day. When its more like dusk & night.
HDTV is over hyped thus far imo.

Soldato
OP
Ben said:
Since you're playing it from your PC, can we have a few screenshots to show a comparison? Take them as PNGs so there's no JPG loss of quality, and of course keep them at the source resolution.
Whats the point. Its obviously gonna be displayed different on your PC than what you see on your screen.

Soldato
OP
Enlarged, the difference would be bigger. I havnt denyed that.
But.
The difference is obviously gonna be big when you post a SD source thats at such a low quality. Ive never even seen a DVD look that bad.
Even upscaled DVDs look better than your 'SD' source. :p

Soldato
OP
Dolph said:
Couple that with the fact that you're not using a decent dedicated source, your TV is small and you're refusing to listen to any possible setup changes or corrections you may need to make, and it's looking far more like you're having a rant that you're disappointed rather than searching for answers, and you're blaming the film rather than your equipment.
The thing is though. That there isnt anything wrong with my setup. Everything is setup fine.
The only corrections that need to be done is when i now connect up the telly to my new lappy instead.
And i dont remember asking for help with my setup either. So suggesting something that i havnt asked for isnt gonna do anything is it? ;)

lightbulb said:
He was quite happy the other week with regards to some vids on hdclips.net :p
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6169335&postcount=11
True. I was pleased with the stuff of HDClips.net, but the novelty has worn off. I still dont think that its as massive a jump as people make out. Sure, i was impressed at first. But its like that whenever you get something new isnt it? After a while, i can be objective and start to pick flaws out.

Soldato
OP
Dolph, you seem to be intentionally trying to spark an argument out of me. Wether thats just your posting style, or wether you are, can you not do it please.
This thread was a rant. I admit that.
But i do not think that HD is as big a difference as people make out. Im not alone in this conclusion either. My friend recently bought a HDTV as well, a 32" version of my telly, and he himself is not overly impressed either.
Now. You can go shouting 'you havnt got it setup right' or whatever, but, in my eyes, HD isnt all its cracked up to be. Yes its a step up. But its not the revolution that people are making out.

Soldato
OP
Mr Latte said:
...Hope its helped
Im still willing to give the standard a chance.
I hooked it up to my new lappy and tryed a few videos that, some WMVs off MS's HD site, and they look better than the Starship Troopers thing ive got, but still not amazing.
Dont get me wrong, the first few seconds i was in awe, but upon closer inspection, the initial 'wow' factor disappeared.
Early days yet. I'll see how it all pans out.
Either way though, Res4 on this telly looks amazing. :p

Back
Top Bottom