Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
I know we have reasonable number of people on here that enjoy putting one foot in front of another in the great outdoors and at least one thru-hiker, what have you guys got planned for 2013?
Call it curiosity, seeking inspiration or just plain nosy :)

I am off on a four day trek later this month in CHKO Kokorinsko, we were hoping to snow shoe it but snow is pretty thin on the ground so it's looking like a regular walk, that's no bad thing though. It's not going to be challenging as the guy I'm going with isn't the fittest, so only about 60km over the four days, even so I'm looking forward to it as I get to take a few bits of new kit out on their first outing which is always fun.
I'll probably do another couple 4 day trips during the year but they are TBD.

Also I'll be going on 1-2 day walks with colleagues from work every month. It's quite casual but sometimes we go on longer or tougher walks. I've actually seen more of the country in 2012 since we started than all of the time I've been here combined.

Then the usual day walks on Dartmoor whenever I'm back home.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This year I'd like to do some rough camping, maybe in Scotland as I've never done this before.
Sounds good, when you say rough camping do you mean wild camping? i.e. on the hills and not in a camp site but still in a tent, or more along the lines of building your own shelter or using a tarp + bivi?

Soldato
OP
Last summer I planned to do Mont Blanc, however due to the weather and constant avalanche it was called off, instead I did Aiguille du Tour, still an achievement in itself but disappointed Mont Blanc was not defeated.

This summer I should be doing Mont Blanc if the conditions are right.
Nice, good luck with that! It would be nice to do Mt Blanc, I've done a handful of French Alpine peaks but nothing over 3000m.
The last time I was in Chamonix my bro had been there a week longer and on the first night I slept in the Aiguille du Midi cable car station to see him off on some route or another, biggest headache ever that night due to not being acclimatised but I did get amazing sunset and sunrise pics over the alps and Mt Blanc :)

Soldato
OP
Col_M - You have some great mountains over your way. I did some mountaineering in the Czech Republic and Slovakia many years ago and it was a great part of the world. I remember climbing Rysy on the Slovak/Polish border, from the Slovakian side which was a gnarly climb. When we got to the summit, there were nuns and people playing guitars etc, as the route up from the Polish side is dead easy. Very strange experience when you think you are on a hard climb, lol.
Indeed, it's surprising how much variation there is here from long rolling hills in Sumava to mountains in the north like Krkonose and the Tatras in Slovakia. It's certainly very different to the UK which is always a good experience what with the relatively large amount of forest here and the extensive marked trails. Because of the marked trails and the culture of casual hiking here from when people had to entertain themselves within the country as they weren't allowed out under communism you still often see hoardes of people including nuns out and about on the hills :D (though I have to admit I've not run across any nuns yet).

Soldato
OP
Does anyone drink from streams without trouble, i have had the occasional mouthful but never drank a few days worth, wondering if some sort of filter would be a benefit.
Most definitely use either a filter, steripen or chemical treatment, even on high moorland there are still nasties in the water, having a stomach bug on the hill is a very bad day. I have a MSR gravity filter and a Katadyn combi depending on where I'm going and what I want to carry.

I was lucky, i got given that tent for free by a family friend as he has upgraded to some ultralight gear (and after picking up his bag i can see why :eek: it weighed nothing)

Dragonfly looks good but way out of what i'd be looking to pay :p The guy i went with had a pocket rocket and that worked great so i think i'll get one of those.
A light bag is a god send but not cheap, I've got my base weight (less food, water and fuel) for multi-day trips down to about 7kg right now :)

To be honest you're probably better off going for the pocket rocket, don't get me wrong multifuel stoves are great but they are more suited to base camps or very cold weather, I have one and love it but I rarely take it with me if I'm going hiking now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yea, just to do a 2 day walk really to start with. I've never done anything like it myself. I have a one man tent, though I don't think its good enough really so I was thinking along the lines of a Tarp and Bivi.

If anyone knows any good routes that they've done then I'd read over them with great interest!

I'm not really sure where you're allowed to wild/rough camp, you're defiantly not allowed to in the Peak District. Are you allowed to in the Lake District?

This year I also plan to complete all three peak walks, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon (not at the same time) in preparation for the three peak challenge?!
I'm not really sure of many routes in the northern national parks, I've just passed through the Lakes while doing the three peaks so I can't help much there.
However I seem to think the only places you can wild camp legally in the UK are Dartmoor and Scotland. Though to be honest if you camp anywhere away from roads and civilisation for one night and leave the place you camp as you found it (which I'm sure you would) I wouldn't have thought you'd have any issues.

Soldato
OP
Good luck, you'll have to keep us updated!

Would love to have an 'outdoor' forum on OcUK. We've a sports and we've a motor sport but outdoor pursuits aren't really covered by any of them?!

Suggestion to the admins?
That's what I was thinking too, I guess the argument is that there aren't enough posts on the subject to warrant creating a seperate forum.

Good idea though.

Soldato
OP
For your shelter, how about something like the MLD Trailstar and use ither the monopod or use a trekking pole. :)
I'm actually thinking of making a tarp shelter, something along the lines of a trailstar or a "mid" style shelter out of sil-nylon and a corresponding inner nest, I haven't decided exactly which type yet, still just doing research. I may have to ask for dimensions from owners at some point :)

Soldato
OP
How do you get into this or find someone like-minded to do it with? Is there groups to join? I live right on Dartmoor at the moment and moving to the Yorkshire dales shortly and up to Scotland pretty frequently as it's home... so I really should have explored the outdoors more and want to start now.

I know on Dartmoor there are guided walks you can go on, it should give you a taster and give you an idea of what it's all about. You shouldn't need much kit for the shorter walks and could probably get away with not having boots if it's on paths.

Soldato
OP
What is the best way to find out about walks and good locations?

I'm interested in just some basic walking fairly local to start with, just a case of buying an OS map and picking a route? Or any good sources to start from? I'd like start making local walks a regular thing.

I did some basic walks in the Lakes last summer and hope to go back again and also a trip to the Peaks on weekend this year.

Would love to do some mountains in the future or some camping.
Yeah, picking up a map and compas is a great way to plan routes, map reading and route planning is pretty simple but it could be handy to buy a guide book too, there are plenty available and if you're geting started they'll take you to places you wouldn't have known about otherwise and give you an idea of difficulty. Most national parks should have a good bit of info on their websites too, or pop into a visitor centre. Also like Amp34 said, there are lots of ideas on the internet too :)

Soldato
OP
I find this, no one I know wants to get up early at the weekends and go out and wander around the mountains in the rain!
I also find that when you tell people you're going out walking they say "but it's winter?" and if you say I'm going to camp in a tent along the way they look at you like you've sprouted another head :D

Soldato
OP
Well it looks like you all just found someone huh? :p
lol cheers, I already have plenty of people to walk with from work and among my friends, I was just talking about the reactions I usually get from non-outdoors people :)

I'm not adverse to people wanting to come over here to go walking if they want though, I can make time :)

Soldato
OP
Does anyone here have any snowshoe experience?

It's looking like hiring some for the hike I'm doing with friends at the end of the month would be a good idea. However I'm not really familiar with the speed and distances you can expect to cover (depending on the type of snow too of course).

Soldato
OP
I really want to do some wild camping, orienteering stuff, but I don't have any money for the kit involved.
Yeah, there is a fair bit of kit to get if you're just starting out and the good stuff is often really expensive which can be daunting. Keep your eyes open, check outdoor forum classifieds and ebay and build your kit over time.

Soldato
OP
Just got back from a bimble around the Beacons today. Lots of lovely, lovely snow :)
Nice, did you get any pics?

I've just spent a bit on shiny new kit, not sure exactly how much as some was ordered from the UK, some was from CZ and there were a few things for a friend in the orders. My stuff includes, Kahtoola microspikes, Woolpower zipped top, gravity water filter, down booties, snow baskets for poles and various other bits :D

Soldato
OP
I just stumbled upon a freeware gear list app, it may be useful to some so I thight I'd post it here - http://www.sherpa-en.pistoo.net/index.html

Not tried it yet but it seems pretty good, I'm going to have a play when I get home.
OK, this app is freaking amazing! :D

Text output
Code:
Multi-day winter hike

PACKING
   Osprey Exos 58                                       1.14 kg
SLEEPING
   Mountain Equipment Lightline 550                     1.26 kg
   Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor plus                  263 g
   Therm-A-Rest NeoAir All Season                         611 g
   Warmpeace Down booties                                 230 g
   IKEA Pillow case                                        96 g
   Ear plugs Ear plugs                                      6 g
   Vaude MkII Inner                                     1.30 kg
   Vaude MkII poles                                       867 g
   --------------------                                 4.63 kg
CLOTHING
   Alpkit Wool socks                                       66 g
   Bridgedale Coolmax liner socks                          31 g
   Marmot Solaris 1/2 zip                                 341 g
   Berghaus Velum jacket                                  335 g
   Montane Atomic pants                                   193 g
   --------------------                                   966 g
FOOD & HYDRATATION
   Camelbak 2L hydration system                           161 g
   Any 1L PET bottle                                       36 g
   MSR Gravity water filter                               403 g
   Jetboil Sol Ti                                         300 g
   DIY FBC cozy                                            13 g
   Sea to Summit Alphalight long spoon                     12 g
   --------------------                                   925 g
TOOLS/MISC
   Zebralight H600 + battery                              107 g
   Goal Zero Luna                                          50 g
   Silva Type 4 compass + case                             67 g
   Deuter First aid kit                                   152 g
   --------------------                                   376 g
ELECTRONICS
   Goal Zero Guide 10+ + 4AA batts + iphone cabl          199 g
   Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries x4                          105 g
   --------------------                                   304 g
EQUIPMENT
   Kahtoola MICROspikes                                   379 g
TOILETRIES
   Sea to Summit bag+iPood+sanitiser+paper                266 g
CONSUMABLES
   Food Food                                            2.30 kg
   Jetboil 100g gas cart                                  194 g
   Earth Water                                          3.00 kg
   --------------------                                 5.49 kg
MISCELLANEOUS
   Therm-A-Rest Sit pad                                    98 g

WORN/CARRIED
   Icebreaker 200g zip neck top                           209 g
   Icebreaker 200g long johns                             164 g
   Alpkit Wool socks @(worn)                               66 g
   Bridgedale Coolmax liner socks @(worn)                  31 g
   Patagonia Alpine pants                                 624 g
   Montane Extreme smock                                  884 g
   Outdoor Research Crocodiles gaiters                    289 g
   Buff Merino wool                                        54 g
   Mountain Equipment Drilite mitts                       140 g
   Unknown Silk liner gloves                               23 g
   Lowe Alpine Mountain cap                                79 g
   Apple iPhone 4                                         139 g
   Sony TX5                                               146 g
   Leki Makalu titanium                                   540 g
   Aquapak phone case                                      38 g

PACKED                                              14.58 kg
   WORN/CARRIED                                         3.43 kg
   CONSUMABLES                                          5.49 kg
   TOTAL                                               18.00 kg
Image output, ignore packed volume as I've not filled it out for everything and not sure why the bottom was cut off but I think everything is still there.
LWr6xND.jpg
Pretty cool for free! You can also put things for sale between other Sherpa users.

Soldato
OP
Going to get an Ospray Exos soon for my camping, think 48L should be enough for two days/one night.
I got the Exos 58 and just took it on a four day hike at the weekend, it was great, I was a little concerned about the minimal padding on the straps but I have no soreness at all and it was very comfortable. Make sure you get the right size and they seem to be a great bag.

Me wearing it on Saturday :)
jIqMgL0.jpg

Other pics from my trip
8OCn04I.jpg
0AvaCmt.jpg
tQYHLNs.jpg
P0iXMff.jpg
V9v3UfW.jpg

Back
Top Bottom