Hiking or Running

Associate
As something different from Mountain Biking?
Basically my Mountain biking has been poor this year due to very little time and the weather being absolutely abysmal. Don’t mind it raining whilst I’m out but avoid it if it’s ratting it down before going out.
I’m trying to improve my fitness as I get older. I’m pushing 40 so still plenty of life left.
But I want to do something as an alternative to my biking to mix it up a little.

I work nights in the NHS with a weird pattern of shifts, so I could work Monday Tuesday have Wednesday off then back Thursday. So I avoid riding on that Wednesday and Friday and ride for 10-30 miles on the Saturday but need to do something on the Wednesday. I walk about 3/5 miles per shift also.

Thought about running but have had multiple Surgeries on both knees since the last time I ran back in 2006 for Army Selection Centre. I do enjoy a good walk, so would like to start exploring some of the local hills and enjoy some peace and quiet to wind down. But my god gears expensive.

Which would would you recommend?

Walking is a cheaper hobby than mb'ing ? ... for single day walks can be getting the same trail trainers for run or walk;
for wet weather gear I spent some time finding a right sized breathable top that could be used for run/cycle/autumn-walk without being too volumous for cycling.
Insoles in running/walking trainers helps reduce knee impact , and getting some lightweight walking poles save knees on walking descent.

I'm currently looking for exercises to make sure knees have good stability one's become a bit clicky - lunges and some rowing machine workout are on the agenda.

Back
Top Bottom