Hitachi HD failed?

Soldato
One of my external USB Hitachi Touro 4TB drives has suddenly failed it seems...

First signs was the drive corrupting files upon transfer to it. (i.e. couldn't unzip previously ok archives).

Then it began hanging on file transfer, where it would start transferring and after 5 seconds or so go down to zero transfer speed and hang.

SMART tests indicate an error on read element.

I tried swapping the USB port / PC / and the lead to no avail. Oddly after swapping the USB lead it did pass SMART, but was still not allowing any files to be copied from it.

I've managed to transfer off most of the smaller files (<100MB) but the majority of the larger files hang the drive. Oddly though it seems to be only affecting certain files and not others.

Chkdsk reports no errors, so not sure in what way it's failed and whether it's a put in the bin job or format and it'll get better?

Any ideas how I can possibly transfer the existing files off of it without the drive hanging?

Hitachi-HD-failed1531560478.png

Not sure why the temp is reading as such as an identical drive next to it is fine. The retailer won't touch it as it was purchased in 2014 but wondering if I have any comeback with it not being fit for purpose.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well this drive is officially toast. Despite only having 0.3% bad blocks according to Hdtune, it can’t be formatted (just crawls along and after a day was stuck on 13%).

Unless anyone has any miracle solutions, I think it’s time for the bin :(

Back
Top Bottom