Hmm? Games Jerk (Make a better title next time)

Soldato
Hmm? Games Jerk

Well i have a new pc in the post, because my pc developed an anoyin problem, when i play a game it jerks (Freezes and then unfreezes) every few seconds, and it was quite anoying

To fix it i tried:

Different Hard drive
Different Memory
Different Graphics Card
Removing All PCI Cards

No good at all, i also reinstalled windows 4 times with no luck

Now i was quite happy accepting that i couldent fix it... but today i have noticed that it is jerky in games like

Oblivion
Morrowind
Battlefield 2

But not in games like

Tomb Raider Legends
Star Wars Galaxies

ANyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Explicit said:
Well you say it only happens in BF2/Oblivion which are incredibly demanding games and doesn't happen in other games. I think it's simply a case of your rig not being powerful enough for them games. Even the top end cards "struggle" with Oblivion unless you crossfire/sli :eek:

Well i could agree with you, but it happens in morrowind, and i played bf2 maxed settings perfect for months then it developed this problem, and oblivion ran perfect for 3 days and then started jerking

Soldato
OP
mc_bob said:
He said it ran fine before so its not going to be underspecced hardware.
One of my mates has the same problem and we cant find how to fix it :confused:

MC_Bob

Hmm this is an odd problem.... i hope my new pc fixes it cuz i dont wanna spend 2grand to have the same problem :confused:

Soldato
OP
AWPC said:
You need a lot more Ram. 2GB would be ideal. Over time any XP build consumes more system memory and can slow down due to the longer IE history & more files to keep track of.

Have you defragged your HD if not that is also something to do as a badly fragmented HD can kill even the faster PC ever due to the HD head being asked to visit several different sectors for a single file etc etc.

I defrag all my HDs every few days using perfect disk and it does make a difference if its not done every week.

I have defraged, i dont use IE, i have formated 4 times in one week and tried 3 hard drives

Soldato
OP
AMDX23800+ said:
That problem sounds like crap RAM to me.
If it was the card then you would get FPS lag like slowwwwwwwww lol.
I suppose it COULD be the CPU but that speed sounds fine to me :confused:

I would say RAM because i have this problem on doom3 when goin through doors etc, it is because the data needed to get through the door is not 'readily available' to the game because of lack of RAM. (hope that makes sense ! lol)

I haved tried 2 different lots of 1GB memory, both have the same problem i have also run memtest for a few hours with no problems

AMDX23800+ said:
If this problem suddenly popped out from no where then do a 'MEMORY TEST' to make sure that your ram hasn't 'died' lol.

Soldato
OP
G00SE said:
1gb of ram is enough. yes 2gb is better obviously, but 1gb should run those games fine.

if you reinstalled windowsand it still happens it must be a hardware problem of some sort. 2 grand on an entirely new pc is a bit drastic!!

Well it was either that or spend £700 on new ram, hard drives and monitor.... works out better for the 2k i know non of my bad componants will be in it

Soldato
OP
brightside_ said:
Rightio, I jsut noticed in one of your posts that you said you played BF2 maxed. That's a load of codswallop tbh, I can't play BF2 fully maxed on my comp, and it's a couple of generations newer.

There are three options for it being jerky, thats RAM, CPU or motherboard. Simple as that. It won't be the windows install or the HD as you said you've checked them repetatively.

How high are you putting the settings on these games? what monitor are you using and what size, e.g 1280x1024 ?
heh well you come here and tell me its codswolopt im using a 1024x768 monitor, with all details set to max and 16AF and it use to run beutifull

Soldato
OP
G00SE said:
u obviously don't need new ram, monitor or hard drives though?

got to be motherboard or cpu!! :confused: :confused:

Ram:

People in this post seem to be telling me i need 2GB's therefore i would need to spend £200 to get a decent set of 2GB Ram

Hard Drives:

My main drive just died, and i dont trust my backup as i got it at the same time and its the same make, therefore i would need to get 2 new hard drives, and i mares well get decent size hard drives so that would be another £200

Monitor:

I have been thinking of getting a TFT to replace my CRT for a while now, and was just about to anyway when all this happend so that would be £300 for a decent one

£700

Plus if i had to replace Motherboard and CPU..... well my graphics is agp so i would have to replace that to PCI-E.... and if i could find a decent Socket A setup that would still be around £120 so thats £820 and my problem still might exist

Meths said:
Make sure your hard drive has enough free space and buy more ram.

Errr i have 21GBs free is that enough? well thats on the drive its installed on

Soldato
OP
brightside_ said:
Sorry mate, you never said anything of the sort, and don't go and edit one of your posts now to make it look like I'm lying. If you'd said that people might have reacted differently to what you were saying.

Either way I still stand by my case. I'm not trying to lord it over you because I have a better rig, simply trying to help you. Ignore me all you want, it's not going to help your rig work on the latest games.

You also overestimated on the prices a bit. I could get you what you needed, with decent parts, for £500 from here :)

so yeah, do what you want, not going to help anymore cause your kidding yourself.

lol dont do post editing, sorry though i thought i had... i have done in other threads if you search though :)

Soldato
OP
squiffy said:
Anyone get occasional stuttering in NFS MW? I set it to minimum detail and smooth except every so often, it catches you off-guard. Vsync is off.

I dont have NFS MW.... but F.E.A.R... i can only play it in Minimum settings, aa off, low resolution and it still jerks every so often.... very anoying indeed, also in morrowind with details max it jerks... and i ran morrowind maxed on a Geforce 3 with no stuttering.... so i know its up for that job

Soldato
OP
brightside_ said:
why should I have to search for information on the same forum to help you, bit mad tbh
I did say im sorry, no need to keep a grudge against me :) *Wipes Slate* i do appreciate your help tho :)

Soldato
OP
Meths said:
Not true:GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL) £111.57 plus you could sell your existing 512mb to add to the cost.

Um, i currently have 1GB, and decent = CAS 2.5 or less :) Well in my opinion anyway :)

Meths said:
A bit drastic mate ;) . If everything is currently working okay then just go with it. Run a virus check, anti spam check, defragement the drive if it needs it and use a utility such as registry mechanic to make sure the registry is as clean as it can be and the existing drives should be fine.

"Been as my main drive just died" afraid as i said my main drive is dead, and i dont trust my secondary, new hard drives are a must

Meths said:
TFT's are hard pushed to beat the quality given by a CRT monitor unless it's rubbish.

Well its only 17", i have had it 4 years or so, and it has an anoying mark on that although im use to i would like to see the back of :)

Meths said:
Should be fine but I think it depends on the amount of programs your running at once. If it's just windows plus fear it should be plenty.

woohoo

Back
Top Bottom