hmm..problem with Hiper Type R 580W??

Associate
I just bought one of these power supplies but there is a slight problem.

M lian-li case is an older one and i had no intention of replacing it whilst im currently upgrading my PC. When i put the PSU in the fan is facing upwards in the case and not down. i.e. at the moment it is resting against the top of the case. I think the install holes on the back of the case are opposite to my last PSU and hence the upside downness of it.

Is this going to cause major problems with cooling etc. other than being fairly annoying as i have a windowed side so the blue LEd cannot be seen. Is there any solution to this other than maybe fabricating new holes somehow?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

regards.

Associate
And it deffo won't go in the correct way up? Hmmmm

Well i can't imagine it being a problem as long as the 120mm fan isn't suffocated. Even then it probably wouldn't be terminal with the mesh design of the PSU allowing air to be drawn through it.

This could be an opportunity to mod the case a bit like you mentioned by creating some sort of fan opening in the top of the case, above the PSU, allowing cool air to be drawn in from outside and through the PSU. This would actually be better than a traditional install as the PSU wouldn't be utilising the warm air in the case to try and cool itself.

Associate
OP
i didn't think it would be too much of an issue as you say the mesh design of the PSu should allow plenty air to get at it. i'm just about to try and see if there is any way that i can turn it around.

As interesting as it would be to try and mod my case i don't think i would be quite comfortable cutting a hole in the top and if i was to try, it would surely end up a mess :)

Associate
talkshowhost said:
i didn't think it would be too much of an issue as you say the mesh design of the PSu should allow plenty air to get at it. i'm just about to try and see if there is any way that i can turn it around.

As interesting as it would be to try and mod my case i don't think i would be quite comfortable cutting a hole in the top and if i was to try, it would surely end up a mess :)

An alternative to cutting an actual hole and fitting a fan grill would be to just drill holes in a pattern which would be a lot easier. Use some cardboard as a template and punch out holes in that until you are happy it looks professional. Then you only need to transfer that to the case.

Back
Top Bottom