1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site error

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by michty_me, May 11, 2019.

1. michty_me

Wise Guy

Has anyone come across this issue before?
    I thought it was due to my WiFi link to the PC but after hard wiring the PC I still get this numerous times a day.

The only way to get it to work was by disconnecting my WiFi or disabling the network and then re-enabling it. After a couple of times it keeps a solid connection until I have to reboot.

When it happens, I can't ping anything. I've tried different drivers etc.

2. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Any screenshots?

3. billysielu

Capodecina

4. michty_me

Wise Guy

I've tried changing DNS, tried flushing it also but still the same. Only thing I have noticed is that it shows a random ipv6 address when it happens.

5. Orcvader

Capodecina

Will need some more detail.

What ISP and router is it? What is the network adapter on the PC, for both Wi-Fi and Ethernet? Are you using any Wi-Fi extenders and/or powerlines? Does it happen to other devices on the same network?

The fact that it happens on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet may point the issue to somewhere on the router side.

6. michty_me

Wise Guy

My ISP is Zen and I'm now using an Edgerouter X SFP. The issue existed when I was using a netgear D7000 along with an Asus PCE AC68 card.
    This is the only device that it happens to and done it on wireless and wired.
    No powerline adapters or wifi extenders in the setup. Just ERX to a switch and everything is hard wired now.

Come to think about it, I think it only started happening when I upgraded to Windows 10.

7. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

VPN?

8. michty_me

Wise Guy

Nope, not using a VPN on this machine.

9. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Is everything up to date? Windows updated? Network drivers?

My money is on an old network driver not playing ball with windows 10. How old is the system?

10. michty_me

Wise Guy

Hmm could be something like that. It is an old system built 2011/2012.
    Currently waiting for the Zen 2 release before upgrading so it will have a fresh copy of Windows installed then too.
    The drivers were the latest ones I could find anyway.

11. bledd

Don

Tried new network cables?

Do you have a Killer NIC? Try removing the software, but keeping the driver.

12. billysielu

Capodecina

I have 2 ideas:
    1. it's malware so reinstall windows
    2. it's a dodgy router, so try another router

I had similar symptoms for a while when using a wired connection which was set to auto-negotiate speed, and it couldn't hold up the gigabit speed so it would keep dropping, or take ages to auto-negotiate. Setting it manually to sync at 100Mbps was more stable but not perfect. Replacing the router was the ultimate answer.

13. michty_me

Wise Guy

I've tried new router, WiFi, cables,malware and virus scans.
    It's totally fine now. It's just after I reboot the machine, it has a hissy fit for a day or so requiring me to disable the network and re-enable it again in Windows. Once it's finished being funny it will stay linked for weeks or whenever I reboot it again.
    I guess I will find out soon when zen 2 releases and I can build a new setup.

14. Orcvader

Capodecina

Hmm, do you have fast start-up enabled? Do you turn your PC on/off often or usually leave it on?

15. michty_me

Wise Guy

No, no fast start up enabled.
    My PC is usually on the majority of the time, this issue only appears after a reboot or updates resulting in a reboot.
    When it does happen, it does not show any ipv4 address but does show a jumbled up ipv6 address. I don't use ipv6.

16. AHarvey

Sgarrista

17. michty_me

Wise Guy

I have not o don't think and I have been looking at doing that.
    I've just left home for a week on holiday so will try when I get home and report back. Thanks.

18. Hades

Capodecina

Are you sure you are connecting over the wired connection and its not still using wifi?

19. michty_me

Wise Guy

100% sure as I've uninstalled the wireless card and removed it from the motherboard.

20. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Format again and reinstall windows from scratch, get the windows 10 drivers only from the updates and see how that goes. I could have had it done by the time you posted the first post and you could have ruled out a clean install.