HMRC scam?

Caporegime
Got phoned twice today from 075485 453585 and 07586 631690

upon answering theres an American AI recorded voice that I can barely understand.

It sounds like " a letter we sent to you got returned back to us, something about a fine or court, press 1 to speak to an officer"

I'm presuming its a scam and HMRC never make phone calls but send letters or emails
upon pressing 1, I would get put through to an indian asking for payment?

all my taxes are sorted so.. it surely must be a scam?

anyone else getting scam calls recently? first time I've ever had one

Last edited:
Soldato
Got phoned twice today from 075485 453585 and 07586 631690

upon answering theres an American AI recorded voice that I can barely understand.

It sounds like " a letter we sent to you got returned back to us, something about a fine or court, press 1 to speak to an officer"

I'm presuming its a scam and HMRC never make phone calls but send letters or emails
upon pressing 1, I would get put through to an indian asking for payment?

all my taxes are sorted so.. it surely must be a scam?

anyone else getting scam calls recently? first time I've ever had one
:cry:

Commissario
Nah it's legit.

I've got some money coming from the refund department of Sky, which is nice as I didn't even realise I was with them, a nice Nigerian prince has also asked for my help.

Seriously though, these are all scams that rely on you getting flustered/confused by their use of a handful of keywords such as "fine" and "hmrc" or "sky" and "technical support.

Soldato
You use a question mark, but you can't for one second think it has even a 0.00001% chance of being real? :confused:

This is not a dig btw. It just seems obvious given it's a tech forum.

Associate
like with any possible scams, just hang up if its an automated voice, and if it's a human on the other end, ask to leave a name and that you will contact them back by calling the office direct.

Commissario
like with any possible scams, just hang up if its an automated voice, and if it's a human on the other end, ask to leave a name and that you will contact them back by calling the office direct.
That, and also ask them exactly who they are calling for, and information they should have if it's a legitimate call (such as your tax code etc, or the account holder if they claim to be sky etc).

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
You really had to ask?

Next time don't answer random numbers, let them leave a message.

Associate
the worse ones are when companies send you a text message.. e.g. RM saying a package is ready to be delivered but requires x pounds to clear customs.

Missus had that and foolishly clicked the link and paid without thinking twice. Only good thing is the charge was less than a couple quid.

Soldato
I've recently had 2 emails claiming they have hacked my phone and have videos of me pleasuring myself and if I don't pay 1200 dollars to there bitcoin wallet they will send it to everyone on my contacts list. Everyone on my contacts list are still waiting for it

Back
Top Bottom