HNC Mechanical Engineering, what jobs can I apply for?

Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping some of you could offer some advice on how I can move forward in my current situation.

Firstly, I'm 30 years old and have a degree from the Open University (BSc Hons, Design and Innovation - Engineering pathway). I have worked for 5 years as a production programmer and planner within a sheet metal manufacturing company. I initially took that job as I thought it would be a good way to ease into an engineering environment, with the hope of progressing into more of a technical engieering role. Unfortunately this didn't happen as the opportunities were not there. My role began to focus more on people management, dealing with suppliers and planning production. The hours were long, including weekends, and I started to burn out. In February 2024 I resigned from my position and decided to study an HNC in Mechanical Engineering full time, hoping this would help me land a more engineering based job in the near future. I'm currently about 3 months away from finishing my course which I am really enjoying and have achieved great grades.

Given my previous experience as a production planner, and my upcoming HNC in Mechanical Engineering, what kind of roles do you think I would be able to apply for? I know that many Mechanical Engineer roles ask for BSc/MSc, so I was thinking more along the lines of Mechanical Technicians or maybe design roles? I've also seen a lot of CAD roles however I lack the specific software skills they ask for.

What would you be looking for in my position?

Thanks in advance

You could become an advisor to people with product ideas, helping them bring the product to market. There are innovation consultancies, e.g.

Current vacancies:

You could move into Quality Assurance, plenty of engineering related work, e.g. checking manufacturing output quality, checking quality of components etc.

Those wages are laughable imo. Looking at similar jobs would be design engineer imo, which seems to start around 35k. If you've got a degree in design surely you would have used some sort of 3D package?
I am looking to move to design engineer as there doesn't seem to be any progression at my current place unless your face fits.

Back
Top Bottom