Hoegaarden

Associate
Hello,

I dont post often but thought I had to post now that I have appreciated what Hoegaarden has to offer..

To be honest I dont know how to describe it other than fantastic!!!

anyone else agree?

Dave

Soldato
Always wondered this myself, I know a few people that drink nothing else. I might have to try it next time I go for a pint with the father as where we go is the only place I know of that has it on tap, I don't do bottled stuff it isn't the same.

Soldato
stevechapman said:
Is Hoegaarden some sort of Dutch Beer?
No it's another name for Amsterdam. *Ba-dum-tish*

Hoegaarden is pretty nice. It's a white beer, there are others like it. Although I don't suppose many are as good (Kronenberg Blanc isn't as good).

Soldato
Ahh it's lovely stuff, shame it's so damn expensive (Over £4 a pint here!!)

Not keen on it from the bottle though, tastes much better from the pub.

Associate
OP
MonkeyMan said:
Ahh it's lovely stuff, shame it's so damn expensive (Over £4 a pint here!!)

Not keen on it from the bottle though, tastes much better from the pub.

Nice to have it in th pub..... Does anyone know of othet white beers that taste similar, i normally drink miller/carling/becks but this stuff is so much better..

Permabanned
HOEGAARDEN GRAND CRU!

8.7%, mellow as you like, goes down a treat, gives you the sort of night where you wake up on a bus.

On a ferry.

In the north sea.

*n

Soldato
Dave77 said:
i normally drink miller/carling/becks but this stuff is so much better..

I'm glad you said that. ;)

I've found the usual uber-vat produced hangover inducing headache flavoured wee-water lager/wannabe beer becomes sooooo difficult to drink when you get onto nice European beer. I've had to start drinking cider/ditch water-like ale of a night out now, because I normally get half way down a pint of Wifebeater/Amstel/Cools etc and feel like I can't physically force myself to finish the stuff :p

Associate
OP
danza said:
I'm glad you said that. ;)

I've found the usual uber-vat produced hangover inducing headache flavoured wee-water lager/wannabe beer becomes sooooo difficult to drink when you get onto nice European beer. I've had to start drinking cider/ditch water-like ale of a night out now, because I normally get half way down a pint of Wifebeater/Amstel/Cools etc and feel like I can't physically force myself to finish the stuff :p

Hoegarden is amazing, I cant believe how good it tastes, the Grant Cru is on my list next.... I'm wondering if its possible to tour the factory in Belgium wheres its produced.

Dave

Permabanned
Westmalle Tripel also has it's moments (if you can find it) - it's a more complex flavour though and definitely one that needs to be savoured (good as an aperitif - crack out an obscure Tripel).

But Hoegaarden Grand Cru is a king amongst beers. It really does turn nights into "Did you just dare me?" nights.

If you're really after a quality get-you-dangerously-drunk-whilst-still-tasting-delicious beer which is also perfect to end a meal or to round off an evening, get some '99 Vintage Chimay Blue...Or if you're feeling flush and adventurous, some '97 Chimay Grande Réserve.

I'm turning into a right beer perve.

*n

PS: HGC is the best beer you can buy in a supermarket.

Permabanned
And, for comparisons' sake, I managed four bottles of '97 Chimay Grande Réserve once over a period of about 90 minutes whilst waiting for a friend to finish his stint behind the bar at the posh hotel he worked at.

It was 8pm and I literally couldn't walk.

Three litres of 9% uberbeer. One of the reasons I stopped drinking on payday.

*n

Associate
OP
penski said:
Westmalle Tripel also has it's moments (if you can find it) - it's a more complex flavour though and definitely one that needs to be savoured (good as an aperitif - crack out an obscure Tripel).

But Hoegaarden Grand Cru is a king amongst beers. It really does turn nights into "Did you just dare me?" nights.

If you're really after a quality get-you-dangerously-drunk-whilst-still-tasting-delicious beer which is also perfect to end a meal or to round off an evening, get some '99 Vintage Chimay Blue...Or if you're feeling flush and adventurous, some '97 Chimay Grande Réserve.

*n

I'll need to try some more... I'm normally a spitits type of guy, Rum and Vodka etc but this stuff has opened my eyes!

Associate
penski said:

*n

You've made me want this stuff right now reading it :(

Gonna go for a night out in Glasgow it seems, it's **** here in Perth. Got some friends there at Uni so should be good ;)

Man of Honour
Hoegaarden is a bit rank, I try it about once every couple of months to see if I might have been mistaken in dismissing it and each and every time I think it is horrible. It isn't so terrible that I couldn't/wouldn't be able to drink it but it tastes a shade sickly so there is little point in me drinking it just for the sake of it when there are cheaper and better beers available.

Caporegime
Probably one of the most over-rated, ponciest, "look at me i drink hoegaarden" beers availible in Europe.

White beers are rough at the best of times but to appreciate the "herby" taste of the Hoe is something you have to have beaten into you by multiple nights out with middle class 20 somethings and ex public school boys - come Adevrtising salesmen.

Back
Top Bottom