Holes drilled in double glazed windows?

Soldato
So my mum is in "sheltered accommodation" and lives pretty much independently.

She's recently had issues with the living room window suffering with condensation.

She called the council, who own the facility, and they have just drilled 2 5mm holes in the outer pane and fitted some small meshed bungs.

https://imgur.com/F0P8rcp

Surely this defeats the object of them being double-glazed?

Soldato
OP
I don't know anything about sheltered accommodation but I'd guess that there's probably no legal requirement that the council must fit double glazing. If the current window is weatherproof then that's probably all they need to do.
Definitely worth asking them though.

When she was offered the house (well bunaglow) it was stated as having double-glazing throughout (rest of the windows are DG) & she signed a tenancy with that in place so I'm gonna go down the route of the repair does not restore the house to it's former or better state.

Sheltered accomodation is basically a bunch of bunaglows/flats that are attended by a warden (check in on residents etc, making sure they're ok but giving the residents independant living when not needed.

Soldato
OP
Just as an update. Contacted council, they seemed un-interested and offered no further solution.

Mum keeps complaining about having to put the heating on more since it was done.

I've secured an appointment with CAB later this week to find out if there's anything we can challenge legally with.

In my mind their "repair" has had financial deteriment to the tenant and as such entitled to re-imbursement and a competant repair to the standard that she accepted the property with.

Back
Top Bottom