Home Assistant beginners

Slightly annoying, the new Hue sensor reports lux differently from my very old one. Not a big issue.

Got my smart meter hooked up via the Hildebrand Glow integration. Will probably buy the Glow device to get realtime local reporting setup though.

Edit : Also got my Bosch smart thermostat and Smart TRVs hooked up and working. All quite painless.

Not sure what the fuss is about with HomeAssistant being tricky....but I guess if you're a programmer by trade it makes things pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
ChatGPT can be great for fixing/tweaking HomeAssistant, especially if using ESPHome

I've just got an email from octopus saying they are sending me a home mini! Does anyone else have one of these?

Last edited:
I've just got an email from octopus saying they are sending me a home mini! Does anyone else have one of these?
Had one for a couple of years now. It integrates brilliantly with HA. There’s a HACS integration for Octopus that’ll pull all the Mini data into HA to be used as you wish

Had one for a couple of years now. It integrates brilliantly with HA. There’s a HACS integration for Octopus that’ll pull all the Mini data into HA to be used as you wish
Do you have a name or link to this integrations I searched hacs for it

Last edited:
Is a R-Pi (probably a 5 with SSD) definitely not a good idea for HA?

I've been running HA as a VM in Unraid but due to the length of time and number of updates I am at a point I've got issues with legacy integration baggage and side loaded stuff that is now officially supported that I want to clear it out and start again.

I have had a couple of server hardware issues that meant it was out of action for a week which was a PITA as all my automation stopped, and on top of that, I have dedicated cores/memory for the VM which I could free up for Unraid which at times is max'd out.

I can see people mentioning compatibility issues so just wanted to check if it's a daft idea!

Last edited:
This isn't going to fix your hardware related issues but I've been running HA as a docker container in Unraid for years. Running the full "HAOS" with easy installation of various apps and services is nice but as you say, it ties up cores and memory. By running the container you get to share that resource more evenly at the cost of convenience...although I imagine you're more than capable of installing MQTT, Zigbee2MQTT etc. as separate containers and configuring them in HA

I've dabbled with a RPi 3 for testing so can't help with using them "in production" :)

Is a R-Pi (probably a 5 with SSD) definitely not a good idea for HA?

I've been running HA as a VM in Unraid but due to the length of time and number of updates I am at a point I've got issues with legacy integration baggage and side loaded stuff that is now officially supported that I want to clear it out and start again.

I have had a couple of server hardware issues that meant it was out of action for a week which was a PITA as all my automation stopped, and on top of that, I have dedicated cores/memory for the VM which I could free up for Unraid which at times is max'd out.

I can see people mentioning compatibility issues so just wanted to check if it's a daft idea!
I bought a NUC-clone/HP Mini PC thing. Costs a negligible amount to run and was way cheaper than an RPi.

Last edited:
It depends on how much you're doing with HA... In most cases, a RPi with SSD will be perfectly fine. I ran HA on an Rpi4 with SSD for a year or two with no issues but my use was/ is relatively light. You can't go wrong with a mini PC though it will be an overkill for HA. I suggest you install Proxmox first then HA which will give you a lot more flexibility over how you use the hardware.

FYI HA 13.0 has borked my ZHA setup, can't connect to my dongle anymore. Probably best avoiding the update for a while.

FYI HA 13.0 has borked my ZHA setup, can't connect to my dongle anymore. Probably best avoiding the update for a while.
Some serious professional debugging (plugging the dongle in different ports randomly), and it seems to have started working again, back in the same port it was in.....

Back
Top Bottom