Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
Out of interest, does anyone have a preferred ecosystem between Alexa and Google? I know there's Apple too but i'm less interested in that.

I had Alexa stuff, then switched to Google when i got Nest cameras as the integration was better. However that was 5 years ago and i'm still using the same devices. I wouldn't mind replacing most devices with something newer, but not sure which ecosystem to use given i'm looking at an overhaul.

I was also debating the Unifi Protect cameras, but it looks like this can't be easily linked to Alexa/Google so debating a rethink of that.

Soldato
Out of interest, does anyone have a preferred ecosystem between Alexa and Google? I know there's Apple too but i'm less interested in that.

I had Alexa stuff, then switched to Google when i got Nest cameras as the integration was better. However that was 5 years ago and i'm still using the same devices. I wouldn't mind replacing most devices with something newer, but not sure which ecosystem to use given i'm looking at an overhaul.

I was also debating the Unifi Protect cameras, but it looks like this can't be easily linked to Alexa/Google so debating a rethink of that.
I think voice assistants are bolt ons to an ecosystem, they don't need to define it. I use Alexa but I'd say my 'core' is Philips Hue. I then have an old Dell terminal PC that cost 30 quid running home assistant which brings everything together.

Cameras are Reolink and they have a great selection including subscription free door bell.

Soldato

We selected Alexa due to deals and not wanting to say 'Hey' or 'OK' to wake them up.
I'd guess 'Google' has a better database for searches and the like, but we are happy with what Alexa can do for us and the voice assistant is used for information after a set of commands, for example 'Morning on' will have a set of actions and then Alexa will inform of the weather and house temps for example.

Soldato
I think voice assistants are bolt ons to an ecosystem, they don't need to define it. I use Alexa but I'd say my 'core' is Philips Hue. I then have an old Dell terminal PC that cost 30 quid running home assistant which brings everything together.

Cameras are Reolink and they have a great selection including subscription free door bell.

Cheers, i guess since i'm mostly starting from scratch rather than previously adding various things at various times and ending up with a mishmash, i'm trying to structure logically and try and play things out, rather than ending up with another mishmash or trying to force things to integrate.
I get that Google/Alexa is probably pretty much the same, and it makes sense to stick with Google so i can maybe keep the odd small puck style speaker for the odd room.

I've already got the Hue hub, so i know that's likely the basis for my lighting. I'm eyeing up Shelley switches for most switches/sockets etc which i think plays ball with the Hue hub.

My concern with camera/doorbell, is i want them wired this time as i'm not sure on Wifi coverage everywhere given the size of the plot. I'm also going to have an electric gate and need an intercom along with a switch to remotely open the gate. The builder says he includes this in the build, but i need to make sure it integrates.

I think my wishlist is

Lighting - Hue hub/bulbs already owned. Just need to spend a small fortune on
Switches/Plugs - Aiming for Shelley stuff. They come in black which my wife wants and pricing seems decent
Music - I've go down this route after. I've a Raspberry Pi with a big enough SD card to store all my home music. Then i can cast Spotify to it. Just need a multi channel amp
Cameras - Unsure. I was fixed on the Unifi stuff as i've got their Dream Machine router which has a built in NVR, but smart capability doesn't seem great and has various workarounds via HA and unsure how reliable it is
Doorbell/Gate - As above. Unifi doorbell seems logical
Electric Shutters/Blinds - Unsure of brand, but i've stressed they have to be HA compatible to the builder
Heating - Ducted split hot/cold system. Unsure of controller brand, but again have stressed it needs to be HA compatible
Front Door Lock - Would also like this to be wifi controlled if possible. Seems there's a few out there now. Last time i looked only Yale did one and it wasn't great.

Also need to setup some kind of wall mounted control panel/screen where i can access everything and ideally be the focal point for the Intercom.

Last edited:
Soldato
We selected Alexa due to deals and not wanting to say 'Hey' or 'OK' to wake them up.
I'd guess 'Google' has a better database for searches and the like, but we are happy with what Alexa can do for us and the voice assistant is used for information after a set of commands, for example 'Morning on' will have a set of actions and then Alexa will inform of the weather and house temps for example.

Yeah, to be honest our interaction with them is generally limited to "play Music", "set heating to X" or "Set an alarm". Ours probably do a perfectly fine job, but i'd prefer slightly larger screens to what we have now.

Soldato
With regards to your musics, consider using a SSD with the Pi rather than an SD card. An SSD is cheaper and more reliable than an SD card.

Cameras - look into Frigate which can be installed as an HA add on or separately from HA. It’s very tightly integrated to HA. You can use a huge variety of cameras with it too

Soldato
Cheers, i guess since i'm mostly starting from scratch rather than previously adding various things at various times and ending up with a mishmash, i'm trying to structure logically and try and play things out, rather than ending up with another mishmash or trying to force things to integrate.
I get that Google/Alexa is probably pretty much the same, and it makes sense to stick with Google so i can maybe keep the odd small puck style speaker for the odd room.

I've already got the Hue hub, so i know that's likely the basis for my lighting. I'm eyeing up Shelley switches for most switches/sockets etc which i think plays ball with the Hue hub.

My concern with camera/doorbell, is i want them wired this time as i'm not sure on Wifi coverage everywhere given the size of the plot. I'm also going to have an electric gate and need an intercom along with a switch to remotely open the gate. The builder says he includes this in the build, but i need to make sure it integrates.

I think my wishlist is

Lighting - Hue hub/bulbs already owned. Just need to spend a small fortune on
Switches/Plugs - Aiming for Shelley stuff. They come in black which my wife wants and pricing seems decent
Music - I've go down this route after. I've a Raspberry Pi with a big enough SD card to store all my home music. Then i can cast Spotify to it. Just need a multi channel amp
Cameras - Unsure. I was fixed on the Unifi stuff as i've got their Dream Machine router which has a built in NVR, but smart capability doesn't seem great and has various workarounds via HA and unsure how reliable it is
Doorbell/Gate - As above. Unifi doorbell seems logical
Electric Shutters/Blinds - Unsure of brand, but i've stressed they have to be HA compatible to the builder
Heating - Ducted split hot/cold system. Unsure of controller brand, but again have stressed it needs to be HA compatible
Front Door Lock - Would also like this to be wifi controlled if possible. Seems there's a few out there now. Last time i looked only Yale did one and it wasn't great.

Also need to setup some kind of wall mounted control panel/screen where i can access everything and ideally be the focal point for the Intercom.
Yeah makes sense.

To be honest the only person I allow a Dream Machine to is ChrisD and MAYBE Katy. They just seem mega overkill and lock you into a very expensive eco-system that isn't particularly popular with home users. You could save bags by going Reolink or even HikVision.

HA can be run on an old tablet which will fulfill your control panel idea but I'm not sure how well it will work as an intercom vs. dumb camera.

If you are interested - the Govee Thermostats (like £15/ea) are perfect for temp and humidity reporting too. I have a bunch everywhere.

Soldato
Yeah makes sense.

To be honest the only person I allow a Dream Machine to is ChrisD and MAYBE Katy. They just seem mega overkill and lock you into a very expensive eco-system that isn't particularly popular with home users. You could save bags by going Reolink or even HikVision.

HA can be run on an old tablet which will fulfill your control panel idea but I'm not sure how well it will work as an intercom vs. dumb camera.

If you are interested - the Govee Thermostats (like £15/ea) are perfect for temp and humidity reporting too. I have a bunch everywhere.

Haha fair. Overkill indeed, i just wanted to keep the option of the Unifi Protect available and have a few needs for routing and VPN's that i didn't know whether they'd be just as easily available elsewhere. The CGU would've probably been absolutely fine for me, but i wanted a bit of safe guarding and a n extra €300 didn't seem too bad, especially if i'm adding multiple sockets/camera/ap's.

Plus i like the idea of the managed switch which lets me map out the whole network in a pretty web UI :p

Last edited:
Soldato
With regards to your musics, consider using a SSD with the Pi rather than an SD card. An SSD is cheaper and more reliable than an SD card.

Cameras - look into Frigate which can be installed as an HA add on or separately from HA. It’s very tightly integrated to HA. You can use a huge variety of cameras with it too
My sweet spot for cameras has been Web2RTC. It gives you an absolute real time feed, zero lag.

Soldato

Cheers will have a look for the best one for a Rpi. I do have a small 2.5" HD which is suitable. I just went for the SD card to be a little neater.

Soldato
I'm intrigued by easy HA friendly cameras for around the home .. any recommendations??
Not too pricey?
I had a tplink kasa, but it doesn't do HA live feed and intact it's debatable if it even likes HA... I've not tried too hard to get it to work,but I'd rather have something that just works without having to fiddle

Soldato
I'm intrigued by easy HA friendly cameras for around the home .. any recommendations??
Not too pricey?
I had a tplink kasa, but it doesn't do HA live feed and intact it's debatable if it even likes HA... I've not tried too hard to get it to work,but I'd rather have something that just works without having to fiddle
TP Link works fine -- I use it in conjunction with Web2RTC as no native camera HA app works well.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure TP-Link were winding down the Kasa brand. Try and register it in the regular Tapo app.

I have C200 and C210s which are the same but not Kasa. It works wonderfully in HA.
Yeah I've had it a while ;)

So what plugin do you use? I have tapo smart plugs working lovely with HA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom