Home cinema advice

Caporegime
So I recently bought a sound bar, after thinking that it'd be more than good enough. The thing is, half the time I have to remind myself to turn it on after I realise, it just doesn't do the immersion I'm looking for.

Now I'm tight af, and want to do this on a semi budget.

But also there is so many options available that it gets a bit overwhelming.

I'm considering;

Avr - Denon x1800 - £450.

Speakers, second hand q acoustics 3010 rears and maybe front (I already have some 1010is I could use at the moment). And a 3090 centre speaker.

All in should be about £650-700.

Any other suggestions that I'm missing out on? Any avrs that are worth considering second hand? I looked 2nd hand but the x1800 seems worth the little extra when you consider warranty

No sub because I live in a flat and don't want to create agro, I'll most likely be moving next year so this will change then.

Last edited:
There's Yamaha as well, A4A

FYI if you don't have a sub that means full range will be sent to the mains. Those little 3010i are not capable of full range, so you could possibly damage them during heavy action sequences.

A4a is £1200. Did you get the v4a?

Is it as good?

Will the 3020is be sufficient? I have little idea about speakers, just that I have a acoustics and they look pretty good.

On your budget I'd be looking at second hand.
Make sure the AV receiver supports HDR and DV if you have a panel that supports those features.
As you're not wanting a subwoofer, have you got the space for larger front speakers? The 1010i will only go down to 70hz, so you'll be missing a lot of bass output.
The best thing I did with my own system was to upsize all the speakers and have full size fronts.

Yes at the moment I'm thinking the Denon x1800 ( probably overkill, but the option for Atmos when I move might be nice). Then some 3020i front, 3090 centre and some 3010 for the rears (with some brackets).

Amp brand new, coming in at 450 and the speakers if I'm careful should be less than 300.

I did look at some package deal with the wharfdale dx3s, but I believe the q acoustic would be better and cheaper.

I have the space for large front speakers, id rather keep the rear smaller due to the flat layout but I can have larger rears really.

denon allows you 7.2 or 5.2.2?
also room EQ app support?

If you want 7.2.2 you'll need to move up to a bigger model

It allows 7.2 or 5.2.2 which is enough for entry Atmos? No?

I'd still get a little sub, just to divert low bass from the speakers, avoid damage etc.

You can run the subwoofer at lower volume, so you'll get the same amount of bass and still have speakers protected from damage.

Maybe it's worth getting the dx3 wharfdale package then.

I wouldn't get budget floorstanders, for lower budget better to go for standmounts, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or Q Acoustic 3020i.

Went for some 3020is and the 1800x Denon amp, with a 5090 center (it was on offer).

Just some tears to get, probably use my 1010is and grab some 3010is when I decide if I want them white to blend into the wall or black to contrast.

Does anyone know if the 1010 wall mounts work with the 3010s?

I have a mint Yamaha AV2070 for sale for not much money, if your interested?

Thanks but the amp has arrived now.

Though not sure if it's a problem with my TV, the amp doesn't turn on with it but it will turn off.

Any ideas anyone? I've checked cec settings on both devices. Also game mode doesn't automatically turn on when using the Xbox, is this normal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom