Home insurance - PC claim

Soldato
Has anyone ever claimed for a PC on home insurance? My wife managed to knock my computer off the edge of my desk and then it wouldn't boot, swapping stuff about it seemed motherboard and RAM had gone at least, insurance have agreed to pay out but they're offering me a cash equivalent based on the cheapest parts they can find on a particular retailers site.

I sent in an Asus X99 mobo with 5820k and an EVGA 1080ti, they are offering me a Z390 with a Pallit 2080 as a replacement. To my mind an intel HEDT mobo and proc should be replaced like for like, but I know they are going to come back and try to say the 9700k is "faster" than the 5820k so I should just accept the ****** motherboard it comes with. I am assuming they meant 9700k as it sounded more like she said 7900k on the phone, but they aren't even available anymore.

Just wondering if anyone else has had claims for PC equipment and managed to haggle a decent replacement instead of just a blitz through the bargain bin?

Soldato
I did for a 40" 4K monitor which I knocked over and cracked the screen. For me it was done over the phone as it was a single item I assume. I had prepared myself with photos of the damage and a scan of the invoice plus links to the equivalent monitor online as it had been replaced. I disposed of the monitor too after the claim processed.

As it was they didn't check as I assume I was reasonable on the phone (for I know they use voice analysis!) and prepared with evidence and just paid out for the new monitor which was more expensive. I didn't notice any increase but again first claim and not particularly valuable may have helped.

I have to imagine insurance companies deal with all sorts of fraudulent claims from certain demographics and if you are reasonable and prepared you may be able to negotiate.

Soldato
OP
It was accidental damage, I'm covered and they've agreed to settle the claim with "cash equivalent", just they are raiding the EOL bin at an online retailer to give me my settlement figure which means I couldn't actually even build the machine they are suggesting with the amount they are offering as half of it will be out of stock by the time they actually send me the cash.

New for old policy?

Time to break out the original invoice.

Yep, have done that.

Associate
Many years ago I used to work as a field engineer for an IT company who worked with an insurance company. I've seen PCs/Laptops/CRT Monitors that had been "Dropped down the stairs", "Dog peed on", "Child threw up on", and even "caught on fire, powder fire extinguisher blasted at it and thrown out of a first floor window" - The best one was a mother whose brand new first generation macbook was painted purple by her child and then the child washed it in the kitchen sink.

But on topic, stand your ground, it's no different to any other claim. The person at the other end is trying to save their company money and/or doesn't have a clue and focusing on some numbers that look similar. What you need to do is educate them on the numbers that are important to you (Thread count, CUDA Cores, VRAM, Memory Bus/Bandwidth for example)

Soldato
OP
But on topic, stand your ground, it's no different to any other claim. The person at the other end is trying to save their company money and/or doesn't have a clue and focusing on some numbers that look similar. What you need to do is educate them on the numbers that are important to you (Thread count, CUDA Cores, VRAM, Memory Bus/Bandwidth for example)

Thanks, yeah some good stuff to remember.

Soldato
I actually did drop my main watercooled pc down the front stairs going to a lan party many years ago. Claimed on my mums insurance at the time and they tried to replace it with a pcworld business special. Had to send lots of information on parts etc and they eventually just said have £1200 quid and closed the claim was a win to me :)

So be prepared to send over lots and haggle for money.

Back
Top Bottom