Home Media Network

Associate
Been meaning to upload all these images for a while now, its a home network that stated with a gaming PC that i build from OCUK and was amazed by the value for money and performance i got out of the rig. Its had neumerous additions since i built it.

Specs
Case - CM Storm Enforcer Case Black
Mother Board - Asus P67 Sabertooth Intel P67
RAM - Corsair XMS3 16GB
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge)
PSU - XFX 850W Edition Modular Power Supply

Storage -
- OCZ 120GB Vertex3 SATA III SSD
- OCZ Agility 3 60GB
- Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
- Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB

Graphics - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6950 2048MB

Extras -
- Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller
- LG CH10LS20 10x BluRay-ROM / 16x DVD±RW Lightscribe Drive
- Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler
- Icybox Trayless Mobil Rack
- Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 x2

Associate
OP
I wanted my home network to be simple, mainly to store and share video and music files across my pain rig, ipad and the laptops we use. I also wanted it to stram to my smart tv and into the bedroom.

Specs
Storage - 2x WD Elements 1TB USB hard drives
Switch - HP V1410-16G Switch V1410 Switch series
Router - The worlds worrst cable router, Virgin Media Super hhub :(
Extras - Iomega iConnect

The router in rubbish i have so many problems with it, im looking to change it soon. I took the HDD's out of the case and mounted them in an old PC case along with all the netwoorking gear and and put 5 fans in to keep it cool.

My Vodafone signal is so poor at home i had t shell out £50 on a sure signal that conects to my router and uses the internet and now i always have 5 bars of signnal !!!

Living room is amazing,, Samsung 46" led TV 7.1 surroundsound S3 freesat HD+ box, also allows me to strea media to it and apple tv is rather impressive

Use windows media center on an old laptop and a USB graphics card to stream from my network to the bedroom tv, much cheaper that buying another apple TV

PC set up in the bedroom, Network printer works really well

Use CAT6 ethernet ccables to connect to everything in the house and its all supper quick.

If anyone can recomendany new things to add or changes im all ears :)

Associate
Anything other than a Virgin branded one :p

I have a little Belkin router, a good make, pretty much any router that you have from them will be good.

Otherwise, any router from Asus or Netgear will be good to be honest. Here is the ADSL router section of the website, which I think you will need, because you need to be able to connect to the internet with it? Otherwise, if you have a separate modem these will do you better.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
the superhub is a rebranded old netgear no?
i think its more the software on it that makes it sucky, if you turn off a lot the extras it works better for us

Associate
OP
Anything other than a Virgin branded one :p

I have a little Belkin router, a good make, pretty much any router that you have from them will be good.

Otherwise, any router from Asus or Netgear will be good to be honest. Here is the ADSL router section of the website, which I think you will need, because you need to be able to connect to the internet with it? Otherwise, if you have a separate modem these will do you better.

If i co for an adsl rrouter i would still need the virgin one as its a cable service?

Associate
I see you have a humax box in the living room, perhaps have a look at the custom firmware that is availible for that. I have it and tbh it has so much extra stuff to the funtionality of the box that I couldnt live without it now maybe check that out :)

Associate
OP
So finally had the delivery of a new case and WHS2011 and all is up and running now, WHS2011 is much better than i thought it would be.

img0846q.jpg

img0848xb.jpg

Have a new motherboard on the way, ASRock 775 G31M-GS R2.0 Motherboard, compatable with my existing CPU and Ram, trying to minimise costs. But looks to be a good Board the extra SATA ports will be a big help too

img0853s.jpg

Really impressed with the case, only cost £25 second had but was as good as new.

img0851l.jpg

img0933al.jpg

img0932pc.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If anyone has any ideas of things i could do with the network next please share them! im always looking to make things better and have more things to play and tinker with!

Back
Top Bottom