Home PC with capability to play older games?

Hi Folks,

I am looking to purchase a new desktop PC for home/working-from-home uses and playing older videogames. Can you kindly suggest a build as per my needs laid out below?

Specifically, I intend to play nothing more demanding than titles like Dishonored 2, Deus ex: Mankind Divived and Prey (2017). I would like to play this titles on high resolution and settings.

Additionally, I intend to load multiple instances of Office 365 applications and will run other proprietary software so I believe 16GB RAM is an absolute necessity.

This leaves me wondering - what kind of graphics card should I purchase? Are there any other features (eg power supply, motherboard) that would require attention fo a well rounded home PC with the capability to play older games?

Many thanks,
KCR

Associate
Ahh, like your game choices..going thru dishonored 2 at the mo, though been so long since had a gaming pc, finding it challenging going back to keyboard and mouse.
I've got 32gb on my system..I could open up office, a few windows tabs, my work spreadsheets and above game and see ram useage...could do flight sim too, to really push it...if you're interested..I've got a 3080. Using gamepass on a 1080P monitor(not great but wife's work one so free) until I save up for an ultrawide. i'll unlock v sync otherwise it plays 60fps and see what I get..will only be rough

Associate
OP
Hi.

What resoloution and hz do you want to game at as this will determine what graphics card is needed ?

E.g 1440p 144hz
@mickyflinn My monitor shows a 60hz refresh rate on the advanced display settings. I would prefer 1080p if possible with 60hz.

@Craig_d1 3080 would be a bit of an overkill for my purposes I suppose..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@mickyflinn My monitor shows a 60hz refresh rate on the advanced display settings. I would prefer 1080p if possible with 60hz.

@Craig_d1 3080 would be a bit of an overkill for my purposes I suppose..
That wont take to much gpu power but the problem is gpu pricing , something like a 6600xt fir £450 is the in stock option but @Craig_d1 will tell tou about 3060ti fe stock alerts :D

Cpu 6 or 8 core and 32gb of memory as you have loads of tabs open but can akways get more if 16gb fits in budget.

Do you have budget in mind ?

Associate
OP
That wont take to much gpu power but the problem is gpu pricing , something like a 6600xt fir £450 is the in stock option but @Craig_d1 will tell tou about 3060ti fe stock alerts :D

Cpu 6 or 8 core and 32gb of memory as you have loads of tabs open but can akways get more if 16gb fits in budget.

Do you have budget in mind ?
I was thinking about keeping it at £700 max

Associate
@Craig_d1 will tell tou about 3060ti fe stock alerts :D
:cry::cry: you're tormenting me:cry::cry:
Yes, cheapest new option for a gpu is a Founders Edition
3060ti £369 is your best bet
Download Telegram on your mob
Search and subscribe to 'FE PartAlert'
When a drop happens(any time in working hours mon-fri) click the link and nab one. With a 3060ti you'll only have a few mins before they're sold out.
May be worth setting up an account with the distributor 1st to save time etc
Also look out for the large drops in europe. If that happens, normally see a UK one with a couple of days

Still going to be tough getting price at £700. Put in quality case on offer, you can get really budget cases for £30 odd. The psu has 10yrs warranty and can handle 3080(min for that...for £10 more get the 850W version and also prob do your next upgrade)...Ram is about as cheap as you can get but still good, and SN550 on offer and decent budget nvme. Still need mobo and cpu, so even if go with a B450 and 3600(no b grades left) going to go through budget with a new 3000 series card for £700
Might be worth looking at 2nd hand pc. Prob with getting older gpu, they wont be that much cheaper than the 3060tife, for a lot less performance. you could go 5700G 8 core with built in gpu, and save up for a dedicated gpu at a later date.
Do you need wifi?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £291.66 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Associate
OP
:cry::cry: you're tormenting me:cry::cry:
Yes, cheapest new option for a gpu is a Founders Edition
3060ti £369 is your best bet
Download Telegram on your mob
Search and subscribe to 'FE PartAlert'
When a drop happens(any time in working hours mon-fri) click the link and nab one. With a 3060ti you'll only have a few mins before they're sold out.
May be worth setting up an account with the distributor 1st to save time etc
Also look out for the large drops in europe. If that happens, normally see a UK one with a couple of days

Still going to be tough getting price at £700. Put in quality case on offer, you can get really budget cases for £30 odd. The psu has 10yrs warranty and can handle 3080(min for that...for £10 more get the 850W version and also prob do your next upgrade)...Ram is about as cheap as you can get but still good, and SN550 on offer and decent budget nvme. Still need mobo and cpu, so even if go with a B450 and 3600(no b grades left) going to go through budget with a new 3000 series card for £700
Might be worth looking at 2nd hand pc. Prob with getting older gpu, they wont be that much cheaper than the 3060tife, for a lot less performance. you could go 5700G 8 core with built in gpu, and save up for a dedicated gpu at a later date.
Do you need wifi?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £291.66 (includes shipping: £11.70)
Sorry for tormenting you! :(

I joined in the group on TG. Will keep an eye open.

I think you are making sense so I might go over the budget. I see AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz, Asus B450-PLUS Motherboard CPU Bundle goes for £260 but is currently unavailable in most places. Do you have any suggestions where I could get it from?

I'm gonna need wifi yes. Do you have a suggestion vis-a-vis the adaptor?

Associate
Sorry for tormenting you! :(

I joined in the group on TG. Will keep an eye open.

I think you are making sense so I might go over the budget. I see AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz, Asus B450-PLUS Motherboard CPU Bundle goes for £260 but is currently unavailable in most places. Do you have any suggestions where I could get it from?

I'm gonna need wifi yes. Do you have a suggestion vis-a-vis the adaptor?
It's Micky that's tormenting. He knows I'll always explain how to get an FE card, rather than let them pay scalping prices:cry: saves him the typing.
I've been looking for some 3600 combo's elsewhere but struggling at mo
Regarding wifi, some of the boards have wifi on them. If can get one which isn't more than the non wifi, then worth looking at as then keeps slots free on board etc. If go for B450 board, cutting out pcie4 I believe. Just making you aware. Getting a good quality budget b550 board may be a better option for future upgradeabilty.

Man of Honour
It's Micky that's tormenting. He knows I'll always explain how to get an FE card, rather than let them pay scalping prices:cry: saves him the typing.
I've been looking for some 3600 combo's elsewhere but struggling at mo
Regarding wifi, some of the boards have wifi on them. If can get one which isn't more than the non wifi, then worth looking at as then keeps slots free on board etc. If go for B450 board, cutting out pcie4 I believe. Just making you aware. Getting a good quality budget b550 board may be a better option for future upgradeabilty.
While i can't agree with tormenting you (maybe somewhat :D ) your explanation is sublime and input appreciated.

@kowloon_city_resident your going to wait some for a 3060ti unless your lucky, increasing your budget gives flexabilty.

360ti £370
Cpu and mobo £220 to £250
1tb m2 £80
Psu £80
Memory £70
Case £50 approx.

Total approx £870

Last edited:
Associate
While i can't agree with tormenting you (maybe somewhat :D ) your explanation is sublime and input appreciated.

@kowloon_city_resident your going to wait some for a 3060ti unless your lucky, increasing your budget gives flexabilty.

370ti £370
Cpu and mobo £220 to £250
1tb m2 £80
Psu £80
Memory £70
Case £50 approx.

Total approx £870
I dont mind.. More people that know about how to get FE cards, less they buying off scalpers, and less likely scalpers get them.. Also might force some retailers to drop prices
Need to get my posts up.. No idea where my last a/c went from when i bought and built from OCuk many years ago.. Never really posted back then so not missing much, so trying to change that now so at least have access to MM
And enjoy it tbh. Nice to help(if i can)

Associate
Also forgot to mention if you manage to find link etc...1 card per person/per household. Meaning you can't buy a card and then get partner etc to buy one if their detail are the same address etc. Failed trying to get a 3060ti for my son that way, and phoned and asked

Back
Top Bottom