Home Server - Minimal power

Associate
Evening fellas,

Need a bit advice with this one, strangley im finding speccing this build more of challenge than the usual no holds barred gaming machine.

Basically my requirement is absolute minimal power consumption so can be left on majority of the time. Otherwise your usual home server requirements.

Ive got a Q8200 and 4gb kingston hyperx 1066 ddr2 spare i wouldnt mind using in this build but not sure if they fit in with my minimal power consumption idea though?

So far these are my thoughts,

PSU - 80+ bronze minimum
HDD - Single large capacity, use less power than multiple? Western Digital green maybe?
Mobo - With onboard gfx, obviously no need powerfull gfx here. Possibly G41 chipset as would suit the Q8200 and DDR2 ive got already?

So i suppose the real question is am I going to get the low power consumption im after from skt775 and ddr2, or should I be looking at starting a fresh with more modern cpu's and chipsets?

Associate
OP
Wow cheers fellas!

Youve all helped a lot at clearing up what I should be looking at.

Ill just give a bit more info on usage, all music, cameras, camcorder, phones etc will be ripped/synced to this machine and any lengthy downloads. Then all it will do is share these with the rest of pc's and laptop in the house. The reason for this build is were fed up with having files scaterred around all different pc's, make life so much easier if they were all in one place that all pc's can access same files.

Zotac looks good but if q8200 is ott, then id prob put that setup in same bracket. Id not even thought of looking atom boards might be onto a winner their :)

Associate
OP
Man those Sempron cpu's are cheap as chips (excuse the pun:rolleyes:)

WHS is the os i had in mind it. Was going to try it but says you cant activate the trial and have to start over:confused:

Back
Top Bottom