home server

Soldato
Hey,

We use a free webserver at work and despite my many requests they won't move to a paying solution so reliability is poor. We've not had access to it all day.

I've a couple of old PC's at home I am considering turning in to a basic webserver. Password protected areas and accessible to people at work.

Linux knowledge is very limited, Windows is much better.

What do I need to do to set up a secure webserver? Any decent guides out there to follow?

Soldato
OP
It's purely for staff on and off site, currently runs a forum, a couple of databases + web front ends (A wiki etc). Basics would be HTML5, PHP, SQL etc. maybe moving on to some python/ruby as things develop.

Believe it or not we're an online company, several brands, hundreds of thousands of members/customers and lots of cash involved. Most of our servers are in London or Gibraltar. But despite the old "you department is a key cog in the machine" we get nothing. Hence why I am considering setting it up from home instead of with 000webhost. I've asked for an internal webserver, and all they talk about is sharepoint which isn't what we need or they mention putting it on an internal server, but then I'd lose admin rights and wouldn't be able to run it properly. :(

Back
Top Bottom