Homemade Stock - Worth the Effort?

Soldato
My butcher actually sells fresh stock in sealed bags. It's £5 for 2 litres and doesn't take any effort on my part. I've bought it a couple of times, but most of the time I use OXO Stock cubes.

If you aren't cooking your own chickens at any point where you are left with the basic ingredients to make a stock then I can understand this. £5 for two litres is a lot of money for something that takes no time to prepare and not that long to cook if you you have got the bones from a roast however.

Soldato
I used to but have no room now anymore to do it. Hopefully in the future when I have a chest freezer i'll get round to doing it again. It really is no hassle to make, If you have a slow cooker that can fit the carcass it's even easier. Just leave it on while your at work and it's done when you get home.

Associate
Roast bones, add stock veg to pot, add roasted bones, add whatever herbs you like, simmer for a few hours, refridgerate for a while and freeze.

Good if you have the stuff but stupid if you dont, buying it in is fine.

Associate
OP
For the record, I did use my stock in the end.

Made a (I thought) pretty decent risotto bianco topped with some roasted summer veg. Was aiming for something lighter than the normal heavy risotto, which came out okay. I didn't add any salt since I was whacking a bunch of parmesan in there, plus the normal complaint about shop stock is that it's too salty. Anyway, the lass reckoned it was under-seasoned and added her own salt at the table, so it was a facepalm moment for me.

With the rest of the stock I made up some onion gravy for my favourite bangers and mash. It was nice, but it works just as well with the legendary marigold bouillon.

I think I'm gonna stick to decent shop stock. I know that making your own is really in vogue at the moment, because Jamie Oliver says it's cool, but boiling 5 litres of water on my stove for two hours is just too much for something I can get instantly and for pennies.

Caporegime
On the flipside I've lost the taste for salty stock cubes, especially the Knorr ones which are way too salty.

After my son was born and started eating solids I was careful to reduce the salt intake in his diet, as he would be eating the same as us. If I need quick stock now I use the low salt ones for babies/children. Far better and much lower in salt.

I buy those lower salt ones as standard now.

Back
Top Bottom