homeplug/powerline - actual speeds

Soldato
I'm wondering if anyone gets the actual speeds claimed by the homeplugs.

In this thread - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18340930 - I'm only getting about 1/3 of the claimed speed.

homeplug @ ~75Mbps, test from speedtest.net ~22Mbps
homeplug @ ~45Mbps, speedtest ~15Mbps

My homeplugs are TP-Link 200Mbps running at the speeds claimed by the powerline utility, depending on where they're plugged in.

Nowhere near, I get about 35Mbps out of my 200's. but thats enough for sharing internet upstairs where the wireless signal is dodgy.

Thanks for responding, but your post doesn't answer my question.

To clarify my curiosity, could anyone posting in this thread, please state:
1. model and design speed of homeplug - ie for my TP-Link TL-PA211, it's 200Mbps
2. claimed speed, from powerline/monitoring utility - ~75Mbps
3. actual/measured speed from a file transfer or (fast) download - ~22Mbps

Last edited:
Thanks for responding, but your post doesn't answer my question.

To clarify my curiosity, could anyone posting in this thread, please state:
1. Design speed of homeplug - ie for my TP-Links, it's 200Mbps
2. claimed speed, from powerline/monitoring utility - ~75Mbps
3. actual/measured speed from a file transfer or (fast) download - ~22Mbps

Ok, well there isn't actually a question in the OP. :D
But :

1) 200 as stated
2) No utility supplied with the kit
3) 35Mbps.

I've done some research (googling) and discovered the following.

1. The design (claimed) speed of Homeplugs is duplex ie 200Mbps is 100Mbps down PLUS 100Mbps up.
2. There are a lot of overheads in Powerline/Homeplugs so that actual data rate is about 2/3 the claimed speed.

Code:
So for the following, in Mbps

claimed speed  expected maximum download
   85                       ~25
  200                       ~60
  500                       ~150

I had my homeplug plugged directly into a one socket of a double wall socket. The neighbouring socket had a (cheap) 4 socket extension, which was powering the BT VDSL modem, Homehub3 and a cordless phone base station.
With this I was connecting at ~75Mbps (200Mbps homeplugs), and I was getting an actual data rate of ~22Mbps.

I've now changed the extension to a Belkin surge protected extension with a built in noise filter and am now connecting at ~95Mbps with an actual data rate of ~30Mbps. :D
It's not making full use of my potential ~40Mbps from BT infinity but it'll do until I get some faster Homeplugs.

Quite a massive saving from an uncompetitive start price.

Thats what I was thinking. I have not seen this price for these homeplugs anywhere. Simply cannot be beaten

Temptation might get the better at me at this cost. Wont ever get 500mb/s, but paying the £17 premium (at the moment) just seems worthwhile if I do ever reach a time when I get superfast broadband

Last edited:
Picked up the TP-Link AV500 Homeplugs - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-044-TP&groupid=46&catid=1604&subcat=2025
and tested them against the TP-Link AV200 Homeplugs - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-032-TP&groupid=46&catid=1604&subcat=2024
and a mixed pair of Belkin and Solwise 85Mbps.

Transfered a 350MB file from my server to my PC.
Connected speeds are from the utilities provided with the homeplugs.
Transfer speeds are the observed rates as seen in the task manager network tab

WHS -> switch -> PC
640Mb/sec (80MB/sec)

Using the homeplugs plugged into the same generic 4 way extension and connected as - WHS -> homeplug -> homeplug -> switch -> PC

85Mbps set
connected @ 85Mbps, transfer speed ~25Mbps (~3MBps)

200Mbps (TP-Link AV200)
connected @ ~190Mbps, transfer speed ~75Mbps (~9MBps)

500Mbps (TP-Link AV500)
connected @ ~480Mbps, transfer speed ~100Mbps (~12MBps)

Using them as I intended, ie to connect my BT Infinity from downstairs to my PC upstairs, I get the following.

Speeds are measured from the speedtest.net and BT Speedtester websites
200Mbps (TP-Link AV200)
connected @ ~105 Mbps, 22 to 25Mbps

500Mbps (TP-Link AV500)
connected @ ~90Mbps, transfer speed ~25Mbps

The HH3, modem and a DECT phone are connected via a filtered extension (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=UP-055-BE&groupid=46&catid=2146&subcat=2148) to the same double wall socket as the homeplug.

More tests.

A pair of Solwise NET-PL-1000M, in the same test conditions as previously

plugged into the same 4 way extension
unknown connection speed (no utility :( ), but a blue LED indicates speeds of upto 1Gb, transfer speed ~200Mbps (~25MBps)

speed test results from speedtest.net and BT speedtester, via BT Infinity from downstairs to my PC upstairs, I get the following.
Green LED indicates speeds 100Mbps & below, transfer speed >25Mbps

As before, speeds are observed from the Task manager tab.

Just a quick note I updated the firmware recently using the utility ont he solwise website. Might be imagining it but it supposedly reduces their susceptability to noise. I get a blue light almost all the time now and speeds seem better but I cant confirm this.

Back
Top Bottom