Homeplugs

Soldato
Hi all,
bought a Newlink 200mbps starter pack.
When i connect them, the one that connects to my laptop finds the other one connected to the router and reports a speed of 120mbit, which i'm happy with as they never reach full stated speeds. However when i try to connect to the internet it takes longer than a dialup to load the webpage :confused:
So, i checked the router end and it was connected into a 4-gang extension. So, i replug it straight in a wall socket and the speed goes up to 134mbps, which is better, but i still get uber slowness. So slow that the things are unuseable.
If i ping say bbc.co.uk with a -t switch it pings at acceptable timings (10-35) but every few replies it will timeout.

Anyone know what may be causing the 'almost' no connection?
Could it be the ring mains? Even though it reports a decent speed?
Any ideas what i could do to sort this out.
The Linksys WRT54g router is connected to VM 10mbit cable modem, and my laptop does connect fine wirelessly. However i want my gaming rig hardwired or online gaming will fail! :(

Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice stock. God these things are a load of old arse!!!
I've put it into a plug socket about 6ft from the router end now, its connects at an even higher 165mbit, yet still dies when trying to open a webpage. It still times out randomly when setting a continuous ping to virgins dns server etc.

So frustrating when these kind of problems arise.
Didn't see there was a sub-forum for homeplugs.
Can a mod kindly move this for me please? :)

Back
Top Bottom