Honda CBR125 or CBF125?

Associate
I did my CBT earlier in the week and am now looking for my first bike.

I did my training on a Honda CBF125 which was a nice ride.
I like the look of the CBR125 though...

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me? :)

Cheers!

Soldato
Just to add a few more details on the OP's behalf:

He's 30, took his CBT so he can ride a bike for easier commuting/general fun of it, already has a car for bad weather etc....

Took his test on a Honda CBF and is mostly interested in a new CBR, and how they fare compared ot the rest of the 125 market :)

Soldato
Dont buy a new plastic 125, they are stupid money, he WILL drop it, crash it, fall off etc etc.
It really isnt worth it,an old CG KLX, KLR, DTR, NSR, TZR, RG, is all he needs.

Soldato
Like I have said in each of these type of threads, if I was buying another 125 it would definately be a 2 stroker. I had an RS125 Tuono and it was a fantastic first bike.

My mate currently has the YZF-R125 which is a 4 stroke and tbh it is absolutely dog slow

Soldato
I was looking at getting the CBR when I started, but ended up with the YZF; the CBR was just too small for me to be comfortable on, the YZF does me for what I need at the minute.

Associate
Dont buy a new plastic 125, they are stupid money, he WILL drop it, crash it, fall off etc etc.
It really isnt worth it,an old CG KLX, KLR, DTR, NSR, TZR, RG, is all he needs.
Don't say it like it a sure thing. Its not. Anything he gets will lose most of its value if he drops it so why be stuck with a 70s flashback cg125. It's like telling someone to buy an Austin Maestro because theres no point buying anything nicer because you WILL bump your first car. There are much better options out there.

Like I have said in each of these type of threads, if I was buying another 125 it would definately be a 2 stroker. I had an RS125 Tuono and it was a fantastic first bike.

My mate currently has the YZF-R125 which is a 4 stroke and tbh it is absolutely dog slow
What's the point if he has to keep it restricted?

Make sure he knows how much he'll lose if he buys brand new compared to if he bought even nearly new. If he's aware and accepts it, then why not just get whatever he likes the look and feel of. The YZF-R125 would be worth a look aswell IMO.

EDIT- The CBF looks Fazer-esque and that's never something to aspire to.

Last edited:

Bat

Bat

Associate
Buying a new 125 is a very quick way to lose money. 2nd hand CG or YBR would be your best bet, but if it has to be a new one of the two mentioned, CBF no question.

Cheers,

Soldato
Don't say it like it a sure thing. Its not. Anything he gets will lose most of its value if he drops it so why be stuck with a 70s flashback cg125. It's like telling someone to buy an Austin Maestro because theres no point buying anything nicer because you WILL bump your first car. There are much better options out there.

Its an entirely different set of circumstances.

But then, 17 years of bike ownership and riding and experience pales into insignificance against your................................ how many again?

New riders have an extremely high chance of dropping/falling off in the first few weeks /months, where as although new drivers have a high chance of having a "prang" it is nowhere near the same percentage chance of it happening as a new rider.

Then to take the point further, if what ever he has will loose most of its value if dropped, why lumber yourself with an increased liability?
Loosing most of £500, is a lot less painfull than loosing most of nigh on £3K.

So, the extremely high chance of damage in the hands of a new rider and the face rape price of new 125's rules them out of the running for me.

Associate
OP
I just purchased a new CBF125 :)

After sitting on both in a showroom I just preferred the feel of the CBF. Apparently it's faster than the CBR too, more torque or some such :rolleyes:

Only thing I'm not overly happy with on the CBF is the exhaust tail, but I guess it might be possible to modify that at some point in future?

Thanks for the replies anywho :)

Associate
But then, 17 years of bike ownership and riding and experience pales into insignificance against your................................ how many again?

That qualifies you just as well to be out of touch as it does 'older and wiser'. When was the last time you looked into buying a 125 from a new riders perspective? From a seasoned rider's perspective it seems a waste, but that rarely factors in the possiblity that the guy might not take to bikes or even be bothered to ever do the full test.
I wouldn't spend 3K on a cbr125, and I don't think the OP should unless he's aware of the cost difference and accepts it. I would spend £1500 on one though, and there are a great many nearly new models to be had for that money.

New riders have an extremely high chance of dropping/falling off in the first few weeks /months, where as although new drivers have a high chance of having a "prang" it is nowhere near the same percentage chance of it happening as a new rider.
If you'll take a gentle dismount from your high horse for a second, you'll realise that I'm not saying he WON'T drop it. I know there is a higher than normal chance with new riders. I'm saying its not a fact. The car analogy I used was to make the point that you don't have to go for the most embarassing thing possible just in case you drop it. There are lots of half-way houses. In the car situation you'd probably look at a £2k Focus/Fiesta/Mondeo rather than a £5k brand new KA. That was my point.

Soldato
If you'll take a gentle dismount from your high horse for a second, you'll realise that I'm not saying he WON'T drop it. I know there is a higher than normal chance with new riders. I'm saying its not a fact. The car analogy I used was to make the point that you don't have to go for the most embarassing thing possible just in case you drop it. There are lots of half-way houses. In the car situation you'd probably look at a £2k Focus/Fiesta/Mondeo rather than a £5k brand new KA. That was my point.

No that isnt the point you made, thats the piont I made.

when I listed the 6 other bikes in the first post that were NOT a CG as well, IE the- KLX, KLR, DTR, NSR, TZR, RG, which are all faster and cheaper, and can all be derestricted and are all cheaper to repair and insure.

You simply said why lumber yourself with a CG 125 because it isnt garenteed he would drop it.

See, the last time I looked into buying a new 125, was the last time I went to buy a bike to use to go to work on, before that, it was because my nephew wanted to start riding.

I decided agaisnt a 125 all toghether, let alone a new one, and I managed to find my nephew a very nice RS125 which was a 2004 bike, for less than a grand, and only 10k on it.

Associate
I just purchased a new CBF125 :)

After sitting on both in a showroom I just preferred the feel of the CBF. Apparently it's faster than the CBR too, more torque or some such :rolleyes:

Only thing I'm not overly happy with on the CBF is the exhaust tail, but I guess it might be possible to modify that at some point in future?

Thanks for the replies anywho :)

Congrats :)

We all have our preferences, and hope you're happy with yours. I'll be honest, in the (road legal bhp restricted) 125 region the :rolleyes: is about the most appropriate comment when comparing one set of speed and torque against another (unless you compare an aprilia to a cruiser, and even then it's not much).

Did you buy it completely new - 09 plate and all the gubbins? May I ask how much you paid for it?

Enjoy it - it'll make the move to your next (bigger) bike all the more enjoyable!

Associate
No that isnt the point you made, thats the piont I made.

How is that not the point I made? You said get something old and crap and spend £800 because you WILL drop it. I said get something a bit nicer but don't buy brand new, because it's not guaranteed that you'll drop it. ie, go for something that's more of a halfway house than what you suggested.

when I listed the 6 other bikes in the first post that were NOT a CG as well, IE the- KLX, KLR, DTR, NSR, TZR, RG, which are all faster and cheaper, and can all be derestricted and are all cheaper to repair and insure.
All of which are as old as the hills, and will cost to repair. The plastics for an NSR still need spraying y'know. What's the point in getting a 2-stroke 125. You can't derestrict it without breaking the law, and you would be unlikely to keep a 125 if you pass your DAS.

I decided agaisnt a 125 all toghether, let alone a new one, and I managed to find my nephew a very nice RS125 which was a 2004 bike, for less than a grand, and only 10k on it.
Think you've fallen off one too many times in all your years of riding? :p

Back
Top Bottom