hosting and domain options

Soldato
I have a .co.uk and basic hosting with Vidahost. (about 17quid a year for hosting, domain is about 6quid every 2 years)

I use the email as my main email, linked to gmail. I don't utilise the hosting in any other way, its just sat there wasting money.

Now, I haven't touched my domain for a few years, since uni. I'm completly out the loop so approaching this from a complete re-start. I'd like to redesign and have a play about. Nothing that warrants huge hosting or anything crazy.

So, I know nothing of the technicalities, my hosting is due to renew in a few months and I'm looking for options. One idea is using google sites, its free and cheerful and I can have a poke about and make a website.

My main concern is the domain, and my use of email. I've used it for years and have a fwd set up on the hosting cpanel, and I clear out the emails on the hosting whenever it shouts at me for being full.

I also just got an email to register the .uk domain for (only...) ~£5 a year. I'd like to have the .uk address.

So, I've no idea what to do. Can I transfer me email to someone else, get the .uk cheaper and link this with my gmail?

Shall I just rid of the hosting and (for instance) link the domain to google sites?

What else can I do / shouldn't do? I just don't want to go headstrong into something.

Permabanned
If its just for email .. use gmail using your domain and let go the hosting. Incase you are looking for better cheap option for .uk *******

Soldato
OP
so, in light of scrapping the hosting later this year, i got the .uk of my domain.
Paid, etc all gone ok, except it wont let me activate it. Just stuck as pending with "errors on the page to review" but no actual error I can see. I'll give it a bit see if it goes through then contact support.

Soldato
Did you just pay with PayPal per chance?

It errored for me as well this morning.

Eventually I just refreshed the page and it work (obviously I don't reccomend this way).

Back
Top Bottom