Hosting Companies

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent hosting company.

Easyspace have absolutely infuriated me by charging £18 each for several domain names for some ridiculous mail service that was auto-upgrading from the 30 day trial. They're now refusing to refund me so I've said I'm leaving them and also moving away 2 of my clients who have used them for hosting since 2005. I'm so angry with them it's unpalatable.

Can anyone suggest a decent company with no hidden charges/costs.

Many thanks

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

It'll be a lot of work for me to re-register the domains and move hosting etc but if the Easyspace manager doesn't issue me a refund then I will be moving everything.

So angry it's ridiculous. It's beyond a joke. I only paid about £15 for the 3 domain names and I'm now faced with a £54 bill for some ridiculous service I don't want.

Soldato
I'm with TSO Host. It's usually very good support.

Unfortunately I think they employ a 16 year old on support, as he doesn't read tickets properly and really annoyingly signs off with :) text smiley's.

I nearly lost my rag over the weekend and went with another company. Maybe I was in a mood...

Soldato
OP

Unfortunately I think they employ a 16 year old on support, as he doesn't read tickets properly and really annoyingly signs off with :) text smiley's.

I nearly lost my rag over the weekend and went with another company. Maybe I was in a mood...

I don't care, providing they don't steal my money and use sneaky legal tricks.

I'm leaving Easyspace, but guess what... turns out they charged an obsessive fee for domain transfers.

I've never been so enraged with a firm. I thought eBay were the scum of the earth when they charged me fees for something I refunded to the buyer, but at least their customer service team were courteous.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE EASYSPACE

Soldato
I don't care, providing they don't steal my money and use sneaky legal tricks.

I'm leaving Easyspace, but guess what... turns out they charged an obsessive fee for domain transfers.

I've never been so enraged with a firm. I thought eBay were the scum of the earth when they charged me fees for something I refunded to the buyer, but at least their customer service team were courteous.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE EASYSPACE

You shouldn't need to move your domains, just the hosting.

You can point the nameservers towards the current domains.

Soldato
OP
You shouldn't need to move your domains, just the hosting.

You can point the nameservers towards the current domains.

I didn't buy hosting. I bought the domains but haven't had the chance to build the websites yet.

I just want everything moved away from Easyspace. I'm tempted to phone my bank and invalidate the card registered with them just in case they try to charge me for something else that's small print.

Soldato
OP
Why not tell the bank the first payments were unauthorised too? Sounds like they were anyway from what you've said.

I have no idea how the legal system works but I don't think I have a leg to stand on.

• I purchased 3 domain names one month ago and Easyspace added something called a Professional Mail Trial at £0.
  • On Saturday I received an email telling me I had been charged a 12-month subscription for the Professional Mail Trial service automatically.
  • They claimed a reminder email was sent last Wednesday advising me the service would be upgraded automatically, which I funnily enough never received. Even if I had receive it, 3 days is not really so much of a warning.
They're now point blank refusing to refund the service. So innocently purchasing 3 domain names has now ended up costing me 4x what I originally paid. It may not be fraud but it's damn well deceptive and making money by stretching the law to its legal boundaries (I'm assuming if this was illegal they would have been sued by now)

I feel like I want to go on an internet crusade and do everything in my power to tell people to avoid this company.

Soldato
I would still let your bank no this.

Play dumb. If you never received an email they claimed they sent, that's their problem not yours.

Soldato
Absolutely nothing if you don't try. :)

You really should call them and tell them about it though.

It's a transaction you didn't authorise, they've claimed they told you by email, didn't and won't give you a refund.

You've paid on a debit card I take it? Chargebacks can still be initiated for debit cards.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely nothing if you don't try. :)

You really should call them and tell them about it though.

It's a transaction you didn't authorise, they've claimed they told you by email, didn't and won't give you a refund.

You've paid on a debit card I take it? Chargebacks can still be initiated for debit cards.

It was actually a Visa credit card. I guess I could give it a go. I'll wait to hear back from my final email to Easyspace first.

Soldato
OP
They've finally refunded the charges thankfully.

I must admit I'm pretty amazed they've done this because Google revealed that no one had any luck whatsoever. They must have realised I wasn't bluffing when I said I would move my clients elsewhere.

Associate
Good one for getting it resolved. That would irritate me a little.

Try https://www.vidahost.com for domains and hosting if you're ever up to your tolerance level. (or TSO)

I've always found them a very ethical company. You pay for what you need and that's it.

They're not sly like some of the big sales driven corporations that want to hook you in and hope you don't read small print and then hope that you'll forget.

Soldato
OP
I'll have a look mate thanks.

Spoffle, it turns out my bank could have retrieved the funds and given Easyspace 60 days to legally prove I authorised the transaction. I'm not sure how that works I must say I was surprised as I thought they'd be able to do nothing.

Man of Honour
Section 75 protection is pretty good and is why I always use a credit card online - although it only counts for items over £100.

As your payment was under that, perhaps the bank are looking at it from a fraud point of view (ie an unauthorised transaction), for which Easyspace's merchant account would be slapped with a fine (if they did take a payment without authorisation - auto-renewing trial periods are very common, not just with online services).

Soldato

Yep, I've been with tsohost for a good 5 or 6 years and experienced their newer member of staff. He totally missed the point of my support request and as a result delayed me getting back to my client - which in turn made them angry at me :)

I'm pretty sure lately they have had some new members of staff as there have been a few mistakes they made - like forgetting to install my SSL certificate and then installing it on the wrong domain.

To be fair though other than that, in literally hundredfs of supports requests I sent them - the majority of which Adam or Darren have answered - they haven;t missed a beat at all.

Back
Top Bottom