Hosting WordPress on my own server

Soldato
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where best to put this - it's a bit Ubuntu, a bit web hosting - so it's going here because it seems the most active forum!

I've been playing around with setting a web server up on my Ubuntu server which appeared nice and simple. Bored last night, I decided to shove WordPress on there, too.

This is where all kinds of issues began, mainly surrounding NAT and trying to access the site from both outside and inside my network. I've sussed that by editing my local hosts file to point to an internal IP when WordPress tries to load an external one. That's not really the point of this post.

What I am concerned about is permissions.

The site is currently living in /var/www/wordpress, meaning it is accessible from my ip/wordpress, which works fine by me. I'm going to look at getting the required files into /var/www so it loads on the root URL without having to move the entire site there, but again, that's not really the point.

In order to get media to upload to the site I have had to change permissions on the dir structure to 777 which is what a site told me to do after some Google-fu. That's got things working as they should, but being a bit of a permissions n00b that's got me wondering what it has actually done. Some more Googling tells me that wasn't the best thing to do, but I confess to not really knowing why.

So, any WordPress/Linux peeps care to educate me this warm Sunday evening?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom