Hot Hatch Owners

Associate
Sounds good Meaker.
The only thing I got planned for the MPS for remaining year is probably save for insurance and if I have spare cash by black friday, i'd probably buy Airtec top mount intercooler and Corksport SRI just for some induction noise. Still considering changing the main head unit for OEM aftermarket and getting personalised plate though.

Soldato
Sounds good Meaker.
The only thing I got planned for the MPS for remaining year is probably save for insurance and if I have spare cash by black friday, i'd probably buy Airtec top mount intercooler and Corksport SRI just for some induction noise. Still considering changing the main head unit for OEM aftermarket and getting personalised plate though.

My car as it is makes no noise basically, an intake would certainly change that a bit but still be good for cruising around. The K&N has a box around it that helps dampen the noise (and stop hot air from the engine being drawn in).

Soldato
My car as it is makes no noise basically, an intake would certainly change that a bit but still be good for cruising around. The K&N has a box around it that helps dampen the noise (and stop hot air from the engine being drawn in).

The hot air is the biggest killer of power of course. I learnt this lesson on my old clio Williams - it sounded amazing but lost power - until I put a cold air feed in lol

Associate
The intake air gets heated up due to it being compressed by the turbo.

Which is why turbocharged cars have intercoolers, to cool the intake air down stream of the turbo before its ingested in the engine :)

Soldato
Yes so two main impacts that will take me from 218 to 240bhp.

Intake brings in more air, more air plus more fuel = bigger bang = more power.
Larger intercooler means air from turbo cooled more (30C cooler under heavy load typically on this car). Cooler air is denser (more air per unit volume) so now for the same space you have more oxygen. More oxygen means we can add more fuel and again more fuel + more oxygen = bigger bang = more power.

Soldato
Sounds good Meaker.
Why the airtec?

Plenty of Chinese copy's of the CPE available for under £100.

Soldato
The 208/308gti and i30n are indeed the sleeper choices at the moment, purely because no one wants them because of the badge and maybe reliability(french mainly).
Most hot-hatches nowadays i've seen are abarth 500, Golf,Fiesta,Focus and Mini..See the odd corsa/astra, S3,A45 AMG,m135/140i and Civic every now and then.
The 308GTI maintenance routine I think seems to put a few people off aswell, its a thirsty car in oil similar to a rotary from what i've read and requires regular oil change every 3k or something..which is the same for the 3MPS.
The Peugeot RCZR has the same engine setup as the 308gti aswell, would like to see a fair comparison between the two.
Lol... Wut

Associate
Why the airtec?

Plenty of Chinese copy's of the CPE available for under £100.
Didn't think they were back available on ebay, if they are then yeah I'd probably get the CPE copy.

Lol... Wut
MPS requires regular oil change between 3-5k, most MPS owners do it and Charlie from CJ Performance recommends it, the US Mazdaspeed3 members all follow the same pattern.
I believe the manual states it aswell.

Soldato
Didn't think they were back available on ebay, if they are then yeah I'd probably get the CPE copy.

MPS requires regular oil change between 3-5k, most MPS owners do it and Charlie from CJ Performance recommends it, the US Mazdaspeed3 members all follow the same pattern.
I believe the manual states it aswell.
Second hand on Facebook group

The MPS doesn't need 3-5k oil changes.

6-12k really.

Ofc, if you like the car, your better off doing an oil change every 3k with 5w40

OcUK Staff
To limit the amount of miles I put on the Ferrari I decided to take the Clio 172 Cup for the round trip to Andover this weekend gone, I was rather surprised when the overall trip, so Andover and back, plus small trips to girlfriends house, restaurants and office gave a near 40mpg average and trust me I was not particular hanging around either, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Seems the car will average over 30mpg on short trips unless your driving like a total loon and can easily return 40mpg plus on motorway trips. Maybe no surprise to some but I was but I suppose even if its quite an old technology engine wise its is a light car at 1000kg.

Associate
Recently gone from 'hot hatch' to 'on fire hatch' bloody handful even on stock ECU @ .8 bar. Should be mapped up to around 325bhp @ 1.4 bar next month, going to be crazy scary fun. Need to get car weighed to work out power to weight.

ocGQVds.jpg
ocGQVds

Soldato
My Megane 275 Cup-S turned 3 this week, having hit 28K miles and chewed it's way through 1 gearbox...

I've seen quite few people in later 275 Mk3 Meganes have gearbox problems. Not sure if there was a bad batch from the supplier.

1 year of warranty left so I'm tempted to sell it soon. Not sure what to replace it with though as there are very few options that are as new & capable for ~£15K

Associate
I may have to take my car back up to get a gearbox seal replaced now which I should have done when I had my gearbox out for clutch&flywheel but I couldn't afford to pay for the part at the time.
The seal was slightly leaking gearbox oil but it wasn't so bad but I think it's now slowly dripping onto the clutch itself giving off a burning smell when the car all warmed up and i'm engaging the clutch constantly in stop-start traffic.
Now I'm not 100% sure if it's the gearbox smell i'm getting as it didn't do it before or its a smell of engine getting hot+rain is giving the smell off through the vent as the MPS is top mount and when the engine bay does reach certain temp you can feel the inside getting warmer.
Have no problems changing gears and i'm not suffering any clutch wear or slippage though.

As for suitable replacement, only car I can think is a i30n but they are still in the sub 19k mark?
15k you can find lot of the german hothatch around that price mark or the GTC Astra VXR now.
Maybe go old school and NA and buy a FD2 Type-R??

Associate
To limit the amount of miles I put on the Ferrari I decided to take the Clio 172 Cup for the round trip to Andover this weekend gone, I was rather surprised when the overall trip, so Andover and back, plus small trips to girlfriends house, restaurants and office gave a near 40mpg average and trust me I was not particular hanging around either, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Seems the car will average over 30mpg on short trips unless your driving like a total loon and can easily return 40mpg plus on motorway trips. Maybe no surprise to some but I was but I suppose even if its quite an old technology engine wise its is a light car at 1000kg.

The F4R seems to be a magic engine. Doesn't seem to matter how you drive it 30mpg is basically standard with over 40 on a run. My Clio Trophy was exactly the same.

Complete contrast to the 197/200 which seem to return terrible economy in comparison.

Soldato
I may have to take my car back up to get a gearbox seal replaced now which I should have done when I had my gearbox out for clutch&flywheel but I couldn't afford to pay for the part at the time.
The seal was slightly leaking gearbox oil but it wasn't so bad but I think it's now slowly dripping onto the clutch itself giving off a burning smell when the car all warmed up and i'm engaging the clutch constantly in stop-start traffic.
Now I'm not 100% sure if it's the gearbox smell i'm getting as it didn't do it before or its a smell of engine getting hot+rain is giving the smell off through the vent as the MPS is top mount and when the engine bay does reach certain temp you can feel the inside getting warmer.
Have no problems changing gears and i'm not suffering any clutch wear or slippage though.

As for suitable replacement, only car I can think is a i30n but they are still in the sub 19k mark?
15k you can find lot of the german hothatch around that price mark or the GTC Astra VXR now.
Maybe go old school and NA and buy a FD2 Type-R??

Or join me in the veloster club :p

I'm getting an adroid headunit for mine.

Soldato
My trusty Clio 182 is still on the road after passing its MOT. Initially had a problem with emissions due to a slight exhaust leak, but passed with no advisories after the leak was fixed. Such a fun car, just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I've owned it for over 12 years now. I've also got a M240i, which just isn't as much fun to drive :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom