hot hot hot

Associate
hello all just wondering if you can help me
ive got a dell studio xps and it gets rather hot. ive got a cooling tray and it normals hovers are 60c. i was just wondering when i should be worried that its to hot. is it ok to be at 60 or shud i be worried.

thank you

Associate
is that the temperature it attains when left to its own devices doing nothing (ie idle temperature)?

Most chip manufacturing processes start to have problems around the 95C mark upwards where links between the pins and the silicon start to warp and break but I haven't seen a victim of this in a computer for a long time!

Associate
OP
no 60 is when im playing a game. i can run 2 world of warcrafts and still sits around 60. so really 60 is nothing to worry about

thanks for the reply, so quick as well lol.

Associate
ive got a dell too and have had a fair share of heat problems
that company really dont know how to build things properly
i reckon 60 is quite safe and if its fans are gettin on your nerves you can probabely replace them with better quieter ones

Associate
OP
the fans are pretty good rly hardly hear them.
how easy is it to change bits on a laptop, i used to change bits on a pc and found that rather easy. but ive never opended up a laptop.

Associate
On my left I've got a Dell inspiron 531, ****ty (by comparison) amd64 dualcore 4400+, 3 gigs ram, nvidia 9800 gs, served up with a standard Dell tower case.

On my right I've got one i built myself, i7 920, 6 gigs ram, sapphire hd4870 vapor x, in an antec 900 case.

Not only is the Dell hotter, but it's also noisier, slower (obviously), attracts a lot of dust, and I would even go as far to say that it's uglier too.. even with the mismatched fascias of my dvd drives in the antec case.

I'm not going to say Dells are terrible, since it's not a fair comparison really.. the inspiron isn't a behemoth like my custom pc, it's also a couple of years old now, and it's running windows vista (*shudder*). Tbh, if you're going for a high performance pc, it's probably better and cheaper to cherrypick your parks and build your own.

I was actually going to claim that Dell is the cheap alternative until I decided to take a look at their site.. Essentially £2000 for what cost me less than £1000 to build myself.. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom