Hot water garden hose

Caporegime
Has anyone here installed an outside hot water tap?

We have an unvented system in the garage and I'd like to add a garden-type tap to connect a hose to, coming off the unvented DHW supply.

There's already a cold water tap in the garage, so I think I have two choices:

- Swap the cold for an outdoor mixer tap - do these even exist?!

- Add a new garden tap next to the cold and plumb it into the DHW from the unvented cylinder.

Assume I will need a check valve. Any other thought or advice?

Thanks.

Soldato
Chap over the road has a outside hot tap - he did fit it for a purpose but it has come in really hand for things he never thought about - Hot water outside can be very useful - Just washing your car needs hot water - saves trotting into the house in wet shoes etc.
Having hot water in a garage is really a good idea - wash your hands etc (in a bucket) . - Delicate grass has to be the prime reason though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is something that i have been meaning to do for years for car washing. I was going to simply add a 2nd outdoor tap connected to a DHW supply which would be easy for me as the taps are the other side of the wall from the necessary plumbing.

If you find a nice outdoor mixer please link it here, as that is an even better idea.

Soldato
I have. I have both hot and cold taps outside. Both T off the corresponding pipes from kitchen sink. We have a similar heating set up as yourself, pressurised unvented. It’s brilliant for kids paddling pool and car washing. No issues here. Both are well insulated in the winter.

Caporegime
OP
kids paddling pool and car washing

These are my main reasons.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to swap the cold in the garage for a mixer and hook up a hot supply.

I could come off the kitchen pipes as they're right next to one of our garden hoses, but the flow from the garage is much better due to it being right next to the supply and not having to go through 20m of 15mm pipe in the house.

Project for the weekend I think. Will report back.

Last edited:
Associate
Only got a cold outdoor tap, but I have a connector to attach to a kitchen sink tap which I attached to the hot tap once to fill up a pool.

Caporegime
OP
No, but planning to install one as part of our extension. Looking at putting in a Woodford H22 outdoor mixer tap.

Wow, pricey! Oo

Are the garden hoses still in good condition after using hot water over the year? I just wonder if the crack more easily or leak.

Interesting point, though if it does crack faster, I'd say the functionality is worth it for the cost of a new hose.

Only got a cold outdoor tap, but I have a connector to attach to a kitchen sink tap which I attached to the hot tap once to fill up a pool.

Ooo that's interesting, could you link me to the connector you're using please?

Soldato
Blimey. I'm out of touch.

I've never *needed* hot water to wash a car.
And as for paddling pools - fill it early and let the sun warm it, or tell the kids to grow a pair?

:D

Soldato
These are my main reasons.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to swap the cold in the garage for a mixer and hook up a hot supply.

I could come off the kitchen pipes as they're right next to one of our garden hoses, but the flow from the garage is much better due to it being right next to the supply and not having to go through 20m of 15mm pipe in the house.

Project for the weekend I think. Will report back.
I have a bit of a hack for this which is good in a bind. I fill the bath with hot water and leave the tap running, place one end of the hose in the bathtub with a small weight and pass the hose out the window down to the paddling pool. I then siphon the hot water.

Soldato
... no mention of legionnaires yet ? I thought that might breed in such situations
- there was a recent government dictated inspection of hot water delivery systems in rental properties

Caporegime
OP
... no mention of legionnaires yet ? I thought that might breed in such situations
- there was a recent government dictated inspection of hot water delivery systems in rental properties
Better watch that hot tap in your kitchen, as it's the same principle :p. Storage conditions are what matter for legionnaires, something that's not impacted by this.

Soldato
Better watch that hot tap in your kitchen, as it's the same principle :p. Storage conditions are what matter for legionnaires, something that's not impacted by this.

Sort of, it wants to be warm (not hot), not move (so a dead-leg Pipe) and be able to form an aerosol (hence shower-Heads are the no. 1 concern). A seldom used tap in the garage or outside could well be a legionella hot-spot.

Back
Top Bottom