House rendering

Soldato
I'm possibly buying a new house later this week, it's a new build but on viewing I'm not sure about quality. Inside needs attention in places but it's the outside that doesn't look good. The rendering (think that's what it's called) is very patchy and appears to be the same on most of the houses.

As I know nothing about building, before I see the builder does this look normal:

wall.jpg

wall2.jpg

It may be that it's a starting point or something but no other new house I've seen so far looks like this especially what looks like a dividing line down the middle. I know they will correct things until I'm happy but just want to get my expectations right and know what can and can't be done.

Cheers

Last edited:
No that is the house I’m looking to buy, it’s a detached house that is in the middle. If it was separating 2 houses I could understand but it not.

edit: updated with full photo

Last edited:
It’s an expansion gap - without it the render will be prone to cracking. The finish could be much better, but trades on new builds tend to be bottom of skills barrel. They might fill it with a silicone type stuff to improve the appearance.

You don’t want render that’s been touched up or patched - it never looks right.

Actually just been told that is what it is and the houses are being redone as not up to standard expected.

Like said you need expansion gaps in render but surely they'd make it symmetrical :confused: that just looks terrible

My house is rendered with K-rend and it's got a few joints but they're spaced evenly (most behind the drain pipes) so it doesn't look so weird.

OK well at least it's not just me that thinks it looks terrible then :(

I'll see the builder on the weekend, not sure what the solution would be but don't think I'd be happy to buy in that state.

You don't need an expansion gap in render. What is everyone smoking. It looks more like they've done a thin coat over the brick without a scratch coat and it's sunk into a brick expansion gap.
Terrible work.
Horrible colours.
Horrible windows.

Don't buy its stinks of the rest of it being as badly built.

This is exactly what I was worried about and I agree about the colour also, I was going to ask them to repaint it white.

I'll see them on the weekend but think maybe best to go with gut feeling/first impression which wasn't good. Will be a shame as location and plot is good.

Back
Top Bottom