House viewing (cracks in plaster)

Soldato
I've been to look at a 3 bed semi recently and whilst I quite like the house it isn't without its problems.

The house has been on the market for approximately 18 months with nobody living there for that time. It's a 1940s brick built council house, inside feels really sturdy with no signs of damp.

One of the problems is the walls and ceilings have lots of small but quite long cracks in the plaster. This seems to be spread throughout the property though not in every room.

I know nobody can give a definitive answer but what could be the cause of these?

Other issues are the slates have been sprayed with expanding foam in the loft, apparently this can cause problems and hid leaks etc. A few of the windows have been bodged with plasterboard around the aperture which now conceals about half of the window frame and looks terrible.

Cheers for the responses.

A survey would definitely be on the cards before things proceeded too far. I don't mind doing a bit of work myself and speaking to a neighbour she hasn't had any problems with her house. I'm looking around Durham, it's on for 50k.

Back
Top Bottom