How about a Linux gallery?

Associate
Here is the thread for everyone to post their Linux, Unix, or BSD desktops. Please use the [thread=17588397]Mac Gallery[/thread] for OS X.

These are the rules which must be kept to:
  • MAXIMUM OF 3 IMAGES OF YOUR LINUX/UNIX/BSD DESKTOP(S). IF YOU HAVE MORE, PROVIDE A LINK BELOW.

• ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE SHOULD BE POSTED EXCEPT IMAGES. IF YOU WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS, PLEASE START AN FAO FOR THAT PERSON. ANY COMMENTS WILL BE REMOVED, HOWEVER, WHEN POSTING IMAGES, FEEL FREE TO ADD A SHORT DESCRIPTION OF WHAT IT IS.

• IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE THE IMAGES DOWN, PLEASE RTM THE POST SO THEY ARE DELETED. IF YOU MOVE THEM, PLEASE EDIT YOUR POST.

• THIS THREAD SHOULD ONLY SHOW PICTURES OF YOUR LINUX DESKTOP(S). PLEASE DO NOT POST ROOMS AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS. PLEASE USE THE OTHER THREADS PROVIDED FOR HARDWARE OR OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

THIS THREAD WILL BE MAINTAINED REGULARLY AND ANY RED X's, COMMENTS AND OTHER THINGS APART FROM IMAGES WILL BE REMOVED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP

Gentoo & Enlightenment, clean, simple desktop - how I like it :)

Same, just different wallpaper, shows off the blue eyed theme a bit better with the menu :)

Associate
OP
box01.jpg

Linux inside ;)

Associate
OP
Some fantastic screenshots! How about some more box shots? :)

monitor01.jpg

^Doesn't really do it justice, if you look very carefully and have super magnify vision you might spot the dead(ish) pixel ;)

Associate
OP
Here's a new one:

Gnome + aiglx + slab + water desktop effect using the Beryl window manager. Notice the transparency effect on the file manager title bar while the rest of the window remains solid :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
^ nice (the Ubuntu one, didn't see the xfce one til after I posted, pretty cool too) :)

Haven't posted one for a while, was just messing with mythtv, not that I have a tv card :p,

Same old window manager, e17 :)

Associate
OP
It's called itask_ng, and is a module for e17. If you have e17 installed then just do (as a normal user):

Code:
svn co http://itask-module.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ itask-module/itask_ng
cd itask-module/itask_ng/itask_ng/
./autogen.sh
make
make install

and it should show up in e17's modules list, just add it to a full size shelf :) It seems to be under heavy development too, which is probably a good sign :)

edit: there's also e_modules taskbar, which (if I remember correctly) is a bit like the standard taskbar in Windows, KDE, Gnome etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
KangooVanMan said:
True linux users will cringe, but if you are used to windose and until the terminal doesn't scare you, you can double click on any file, you just get more options. Example if you double click on xorg.conf (you would need to be root)

One step at a time :)

kang0o dons his asbestos pants ready for the flaming :D

Nowt wrong with a double click, especially as Linux interfaces do seem to offer so much choice in how you do things, if that's what you prefer but I suppose the problem is how you edit xorg.conf as root if you're logged on as a normal user.

I have Fedora Core 7 on a desktop machine at the moment, and there was actually no need to edit xorg.conf to install either Compiz-Fusion / Beryl (I tried both) or even the 3d Nvidia driver, or double click anything (i prefer the single-click method :)). To that extent I think it's slightly dissapointing if you have to do any text editing to instal Beryl on Ubuntu (given its ease of use reputation), alhough in the long run it's better for certain people to learn the command line, file structures etc.

Nice asbestos pants but I prefer the lead ones (from a health & safety point of view :p), though they have there drawbacks as they are difficult to move in at a reasonable walking speed, and attract attention in crowded areas ;)

Associate
OP
Gentoo is very much my favourite distribution and I would definitely recommend if you want to learn the command line a bit more. Not the easiest distribution to initially set-up but fairly easy to maintain once you get past the learning threshold and have had a play with the various options - it has a steep learning curve but one which I would maintain to be quite fun :).

Probably best installed with access to the net from another pc.

I would post a screenshot from my fully working Gentoo pc but it's still not built yet, just need to order a few more parts :)

Associate
OP
Finished building my new compy last week, several hours of messing with portage & config files and finally...

Gentoo, Openbox with tint2 for the panel, and Scummvm running Day of the Tentacle!! Nice simple desktop :)

I found the wallpaper from browsing the Windows desktop thread, posted here if anyone wants a copy.

For some reason firefox shows up as Namoroka (it's project name?).

Associate
OP
A few changes, Openbox still, with Conky on the top right and Tint2 on the bottom left for use as a system tray only, really pleased with the results so far :)

Associate
OP
Bit of an update :) Openbox as usual, with Conky providing the clock. Tint2 is providing the system tray (ps3mediaserver, Thunderbird and Rythmbox all running). I found the wallpaper from the Windows desktop thread :)

Cleanish:

Bit busier:

The busier shot has aterm as my terminal of preference (doing en 'emerge -uDpv world') and shows off a few games in the menu, some old, some new :)

Linux distribution is of course Gentoo :)

Back
Top Bottom